Toe nails

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
christine lyn

Re : Toe nails

Postby christine lyn » Wed Jul 02, 638600 11:08 am

Yes I suppose this is nothing compared to what could have been at birth. Shane is healthy and had a few surgery's when he was younger for which things were repairable so I do count my blessing for what could have been. It seems like the more you read the more you hear things could be because of prematurity.

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Jul 02, 638600 2:13 am

Gabrielle's toe nails grow inwards if we don't catch them soon enough. They are also very thick and grow so quickly!

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Mon Jun 30, 638600 4:50 pm

Oh, I definately think these funky toe nails will be a problem down the road. His fingernails are paper thin, too and split very, very easy. We're always trimming one that's caught on something and torn into the quick.

I figure I should count my blessings. He's really very, very healthy considering all he went through. We have some issues with enamel hypoplasia, the funky finger/toe nail things. He does have asthma but chances are that he would have had that anyway since I'm an asthmatic, too.

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Sat Jun 21, 638600 4:01 pm

Robyn, that's funny because I file my son's toe nails also to make them smoother on top and he let's me right now. On top of the funky toe nails he has two toes that are crooked and cross over each other. I'm worried about when he's older that he might have trouble with the toe's rubbing together. Maybe it's just me wanting him to be too perfect or whatever but I think it could be a problem when he's older.

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Fri Jun 20, 638600 9:30 am

We have the funky toenails too. I asked about it and they attributed it to the amount of time he spent lying on his tummy (digging in with his toes) combined with articial nutrition for so long (we were on TPN forever) and lack of calcium transfer that happens in the 3rd trimester.

We just keep them well-trimmed and I buff them to try and make them as smooth as possible. At 5, he's still willing to let me do this. I'm sure as he gets older, he won't allow it. I guess they'll just be ugly toenails.

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Fri Jun 20, 638600 1:20 am

I haven't heard of that, but I haven't asked either ... my former preemie's toe nails are not "typical" either. I always just attributed it to everyone being different, but now that I have had a full term baby whose nails are what I expected, Jacob's stand out. We are due for a big check-up this spring so I'll have to add that to the list of questions.

christine lyn

Toe nails

Postby christine lyn » Mon Jun 09, 638600 7:07 pm

Ok so....question on toe nails. My son's toe nails are thick and grow funny so I asked his pedi. and she had said it could of been from the trauma of birth.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Return to “Parents of Preemies”