getting breast milk after 7 days of pumping

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
darateacher

Re : getting breast milk after 7 days of pumping

Postby darateacher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 09:57 am

Will check out kellymom.com today. Been sleeping and pumping, and spending time with DH. :-) I've been making myself get up at 4AM for an overnight pumping and pumping once every three hours during the day. This morning, I got 13ml per bottle. But, the nurse said that they're starting to supplement with formula already. :-( I know, I know. Not a bad thing.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Mon Jan 26, 2009 06:31 am

You are doing great! Did you get a chance to check out Kellymom.com? I really like their site - it helped me a lot with figuring out how to pump and in which position is best. Do you have a boppy yet - do they have one maybe at the hospital? If so I did use that to prop my arms on when I pumped - it seemed like THAT was the most painful part for me and agreeing with the others on the every drop is awesome as well as turning the pump up the highest it will go - not until it hurts of course but until it's a little less than that - LOL.

Hope the boys are doing well today and I'm so happy you are getting more with your pumping!

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 01:05 am

Dara, I'm sure you will have a nice (or not so nice) name for your pump soon enough! I think we all can agree it is a love hate relationship. Mostly for me I loved to hate it! I always felt like I should be mooing in a stall while attached to it! The one at the hospital are even more like a commercial dairy farm! Keep up the good work, if your seeing an increase like that already you are doing it right!

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Jan 25, 2009 02:24 pm

There ARE medications that are FDA approved in the US to be prescribed by neonatologists, when appropriate, for the production of breast milk when needed, shall you need that extra help...just to clarify. However,that is a decision made solely by the dr based on the babies and how they are doing. Mine did take awhile to come in too...really mine didn't start to *really* come in for almost 6 weeks...I would always get little amounts when pumping, but when T was able to go to the breast, it was a different story. It was like my boobs knew the difference between the baby and the pump. (This was true even when I would pump after nursing for a year!) Just try and not get upset or uptight about how much milk you get, as stressing about it slows it down even more, in my experience. EVERY little drop that those boys get is going to do them good, even if they have to supplement :)Don't give up! Sounds like you are doing great!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:51 pm

Dara,

Im glad to hear that you've started to get a little more milk during your pumping session! Pumping to me, was so stressful I wanted to get tons so my boy could have momma's milk but it just didn't work! I'm with Alice looking at his picture did nothing for me! When I had to pump for Alexa while she was in the hospital for her jaundice I relaxed and thought good thoughts wheather those thoughts be playing trains with my son, dating my husband etc. It seems to help and oh don't EVER look at the clock thats'the worst when trying to get more milk in!

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Sat Jan 24, 2009 01:37 pm

Quincy- What'd you name your pump? That's funny! LOL! :-)

I found better pix of Noah and Adam on my computer. It worked better at third time pumping today...we got 15 ml instead of just 10 from each breast. also, I spoke with the nurse at the ISCU today. She said that it usually takes 2 weeks for milk to fully come in. Sounds more reassuring to me.

Also, yep...got a Medela Symphony pump from the hospital. Rented it for 5 months, since I'd like to pump and BF so that Dan can do overnight feedings as well.

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:49 am

Dara,

just to second what Jen posted...hospital grade is the way to go. I think you might be able to rent one for a small amount per month...who knows maybe you can get your insurance to cover it...

I used a pump in style at home, but I love those star wars looking things they have at the hospital...the yellow ones on a wheeled pole. That's the one you want to use if you can. They have a diaphragm for each breast, compared to the pump in style ones that just have one.

Q

P.S.-I don't have any other additional advice for you on improving your milk supply. Regular pumping, and lots of water are probably the most important things. I tried naming my pump, but it just made my animosity towards it more personal...hahahaha...

Hang in there lady, whatever you can do is good enough. You may not feel that way now, but I guarantee someday you will tell some other poor mommy who is stressed out the very same thing...

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Dara, I don't have any preemie advice for you, but I BF both of my kids and the pump was my enemy at first. Give yourself time and some slack, it takes a while to get the hang of it all. Not to mention you also have to get the hang of twins in the NICU and all that goes with them. It will come, so give yourself a break. BTW do they have you using a hospital grade pump? With Mason I had to pump and dump the 2nd day because of the meds for a CT scan. Let me tell you, those things will get your milk supply up a LOT more than a personal one. They are like the hoover of pumps, I couldn't believe the difference. Not to mention my milk supply was established at first from that thing, I had so much milk it was enough for quadruplets!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Jan 23, 2009 07:11 pm

Just a quick aside: the PF will not host conversations about the procurement of drugs that fall outside of any individual country's legal system.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

panguitch02

Postby panguitch02 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 07:04 pm

I pumped almost exclusively for 15 months. Jameson was on limited feeds (40 cc every 3 hours) b/c he was sent home on a diuretic, so I was limited to breastfeeding only once a day for the first 3 months. After that I was back to work full-time, so only breastfed in the evenings. In the middle of the night we found Jameson would sleep a lot longer if we bottle fed b/c he got lots quickly and wasn't too comfy at the breast, falling asleep before he got a full tummy.

At first pumping is super awkward, unnatural, and can be irritating to the nipples. You have to get used to it, and mess with the suction and speed... Eventually, I got a medela bra and would rubber band the pumps to my bra for hands free pumping. I got very accustomed to pumping, and even pumped while I drove (mostly as a passenger, a few time a driver)...Got that idea from the NICU Pediatrician...who did it everyday on the way to work. Pumping became part of my everyday life (4-5 times a day).

Return to “Parents of Preemies”