getting breast milk after 7 days of pumping

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : getting breast milk after 7 days of pumping

Postby caryn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 06:54 pm

I believe domperidone is not officially approved for *any* use in the United States, so it's not an option for Dara.

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 06:35 pm

Domperidone for me, too (by the neonatologist).

kisapaduga

Postby kisapaduga » Fri Jan 23, 2009 05:47 pm

I also had a horrible time in the beginning trying to get anything out when I pumped! I tried everything ... I think the biggest problem for me, though, was that I also had a spinal headache and sitting up was excruciating.
Being near the babies when you pump is a good idea. Anything to make pumping seem as natural as breastfeeding will help. Sometimes you may be able to have your physician prescribe Reglan for up to two weeks to help with your milk supply. Ask one of your NICU nurses to have a lactation consultant stop by while you're visiting the boys ... they have a lot of good suggestions.

Take care!

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Fri Jan 23, 2009 02:47 pm

I was prescribed domperidon to get my supply up. I would definitel speak to a lactation consultant. As others have said, supplementing is fine too. Once you can breastfeed, your supply will naturally go up to accommodate your boys' needs.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 01:40 pm

My additional tip is to make sure you're getting enough rest. It's exhausting recovering from everything, pumping round the clock and going through the NICU experience. Although you probably have to get up a couple of times to pump, make sure you get enough rest. What I did was pump every 2 hours during the day (of course with a hospital grade pump) and then would go 4-5 hours at night so I could get lots of sleep and still get in my 10-12 pumping sessions/day. Also, a pumping tip I got from a lactation consultant is to take a break half way through the pumping session to massage and then lean forward and give them a shake before resuming - that stimulates another let-down.

Don't worry about supplementing. I had plenty of milk and still had to supplement once he came home for the extra calories.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 01:38 pm

Dara, I really recommend an IBCLC, and I hope they've already provided you with one at the hospital.

Turning up the pump and massage were the only things that got things moving for me, but everyone's different, so I would just keep trying things and see if any of them work better than others.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:55 am

Pump at the boys bedside when possible (they can surround you with curtains).
Pump in front of a picture of them when you can't be at their bedside.
Relax, kick-back, sit in a quiet room, give yourself plenty of time - 30 minutes to an hour, in the beginning (it won't always take that long). Try to think only about the boys while pumping - no multi-tasking until your producing well...then you can read a book or something.
Start the pump out at a comfortable level but turn up the juice as high as you can, in small increments. This was the best advice I got from a nurse....she kept turning up the power. I hated her at first, but it worked well for this premature mom.
Visualize the babies actually nursing.
Hold your breasts, hold the suction cup things up firmly against your breasts.
Massage the milk forward while pumping (obviously you can only do that on one breast at a time), but you can switch back and forth with your pumping bra on, if it works for you.
Take a warm shower before pumping.
Be patient with yourself...your body isn't meant to produce milk this early, so it may take some time. The boys can get supplementation. Whatever you can give them is better than none.

Your job is pumping right now, so let it be a priority. It's a tough job. And pumping isn't as effective as nursing, so you have to work even harder at it.

Drink LOTS of water, LOTS.

And see if there is a PREEMIE lactation consultant on staff at the hospital (there typically is at a large hospital like you are at).

Try not to be anxious about it, because that is counterproductive to pumping.
Hugs!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am

Awesome job mama! Henry was supplemented his entire NICU stay. And he's still a boob man at 2.5 years of age!!! :)

I know lots of people recommend you think about the babies while pumping - for me, that never worked. I had enough guilt and grief I was working through ...

I personally recommend finding a good book - lighthearted that you don't really care if you finish (that's how I started reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series) or crap magazines like People or whatever - that just take your mind of everything!!! I found myself a milk-pumping QUEEN with that! PLUS - you MUST get the hands-free bra to wear. That way you just hook yourself up to the pump and don't worry about pressure or anything. I never felt more like a dairy cow than when I had that on, but it really allowed me to relax.

GOOD LUCK!!! AND KEEP PUMPING MAMA!!! ROCK ON!!!

panguitch02

Postby panguitch02 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 am

Dara...please do not get discouraged. A little mama's milk is better then none. The babies will be ok with supplementation until you get your volume up.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 am

You can go to kellymom.com - it has the best set of resources for nursing concerns/issues as well as general knowledge.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”