I'm being patient--Adam is constipated

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : I'm being patient--Adam is constipated

Postby kara » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Knees to the chest do often help! How are the boys? How are you? Getting any sleep? We may be down to Chi-town April 4....would love to stop and meet you all.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Thu Mar 05, 2009 05:36 pm

Thanks, Ladies! :-) I've been doing the tummy massages and they work very well. also, I started having Adam bring his knees to his chest as best he can for a few minutes during every diaper change, on the floor. That may have worked too?

mom2ella

Postby mom2ella » Sun Mar 01, 2009 09:30 pm

We did all of the above with Ethan also. The rectal temp worked well and the belly rub didn't make him go but helped relieve the pain. When he was about 7 mths (4 mths adjusted) they allowed us to start using 5mL of prune juice if he hadn't gone in 24 hours. We still do that and he usually goes within 12 hours, but not immediately. Good luck!!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 09:16 pm

The suppositories are AMAZING! When Kade was having that 2 month lactose thing we used those everyday, and they were AWESOME! Just make sure the dr. okays' it..............

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 08:02 am

we still battle with constipation, he is almost 3 years old, thankfully it is not as often, but about every 3 months we are doing midnight bath and massage!

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 02:52 pm

Mikey was extremely constipated when we brought him home. I was in tears it was awful. Prune juice was what was recommended. 10ccs and we didn't have another problem!

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:04 am

Like SueAnn said, I LOVED the 'I Love You' baby massage in the Dr. Sears Baby book. I think even the Dr. Sears preemie book has it illustrated, too. Between that and rectal stim, we got through most of Jacob's constipation issues early on. Occasionally had to do a glycerin chip, but our ped told us what Holly mentioned about trying to not get too dependent on them and try everything else first (massage, rectal temp, warm bath, help bicycle their legs, and while they are trying to push it out, offer your hand as some resistence to their feet).

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:10 am

Dara,

I'm glad to hear that the suppository was so successful. Hopefully this won't become a recurring problem for him. I do agree with the tummy rubbing helping soothe the tummies and can help move things along. I did the I Love You rub mentioned in Dr Sears book.

Also, congrats on having them both home!!! I hope you can settle into a nice routine and get lots of time to just enjoy those two little miracles!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 07:59 am

Jonathan was constipated for about 2 months. We did everything listed above except the Karo. Other things we tried (unsucessfully) was a baking soda bath and moving his legs a lot. I'd definitely check with the pedi for a plan for if it happens again. Suppositories can get "addictive" so you don't want to rely on them. Good luck! And congrats on brining Noah home too!

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Thu Feb 26, 2009 01:24 am

I checked with the neonatologist at the ISCU tonight when I picked up Noah. She suggested 1/4 of a glycerine suppository. We started to put in the suppository, and just the tip melted off...and WHAM-O! He's fine now! :-) Wanted to see what the nurses in the ISCU use, too. One said prune juice (for a preemie???!) and the other nurse suggested a tummy rub and rectal temperature with petroleum jelly. Well, we'd already done the later numerous times, and it didn't do anything. But, the tummy rub sounds easy enough to do on a daily basis. I hope we don't have to deal with this again until both boys are older.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”