Starting Solids With Preemies?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Re : Starting Solids With Preemies?

Postby fiona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 00:05 am

We didn't have to wait until Jay sat up - he was 9 months old by that time and would probably have started eating his own fingers by then ;-)

I honestly can't remember when we started though. I do think if they are showing interest, following their lead is not a bad thing. I was making Sacha wait until 6 months as per new guidelines and he swiped a piece of toast off his dad's plate ad never looked back.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Thank you guys so much!!! I really appreciate the advice. I did ask my Ped, but I don't trust her advice . Our old Ped [who we adored] quit practice a few months back and this new one gives radically different [and odd] advice IMO... so, I appreciate y'all's "been there, done that" advice!

Thanks!

Kelly

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 04:04 pm

Our pedi said we didn't have to wait until sitting up. He actually had us start at 4 1/2 adjusted (7 actual). We tried but Allan wasn't ready so we wait another month and tried again with success. He wasn't fully sitting up when were successful either. If she's really interested, let her try a bit of cereal if it's ok with the Pediatrician.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 03:20 pm

Alexander's pedi recommended to start at 5 months actual (3 adjusted) with cereal. I've heard about sitting on their own to be ready, but our pediatrician didn't require that. We did rice cereal for a month and then started adding others when he was 6 months (4 adjusted). He wasn't sitting on his own, but sat well when supported. Jonathan is nearly 6 months now and almost sitting on his own (he'll sit for about a minute before toppling). Jonathan was less ready for solids at 5 months than Alexander was. Alexander was months (about 3) away from sitting on his own when he started solids and he was very ready for solids. I think it's a very indivdual thing and if she's showing interest it's probably worth a try - I'm sure she'll let you know if she isn't ready.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Kelly!
I was always told that until she could sit up on her own not to give solids (unless it was needed for reflux or something that the doctor recommended). We started around 7 months when Anna Grace could sit up so that would have made her more like 5 months. We didn't have any problems when we started and started the same as we did our others so from that standpoint it was the same.

I'm sure that you'll get other opinions though! Glad to see you around - I've been wondering about you.

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:00 am

With Gabrielle, I checked with her pedi to make sure it was ok to start her on rice cereal around 4 1/2 mos adjusted age (6 mos birth age). The pedi let us know what to look out for to tell us if she was allergic to it and we just made sure the cereal was goopy enough that she can swallow it. With regular foods (veggies/fruit) we didn't start those till 6 mos adjusted age

kelly w

Starting Solids With Preemies?

Postby kelly w » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:36 am

Anyone have advice on starting solids with preemies?

My 34 weeker just turned 6 months old [I can NOT believe it! What a whirlwind blur of a 6 months!].

With my other babies I started them on solids right at 6 months. Do I start her now? Or do I wait? Developmentally she is really more like 4.5 months - she isn't sitting up on her own or anything. She IS interested in food though - watches us very carefully when we eat and tries to grab the spoon/fork.

Right now she is 100% breastfed. Should I go ahead and offer solids?

I know for allergy reasons it is better not to offer solids till 6 months, but I'm not sure how that works with Preemies.

What did you guys do? How did it work out?

Kelly

Return to “Parents of Preemies”