swallow study

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : swallow study

Postby trish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 02:35 pm

I have no experience with the swallow study but I agree watching them strap your wee one down for the GI test is tough!! We had that with my first when she was 4 weeks old and I still remember it vividly. My 3rd clearly had reflux so I asked her Ped if we could just skip the GI test.

I hope the swallow study isn't as bad and that you get some answers soon. :)

julieb

Re : swallow study

Postby julieb » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 am

We did a swallow study with Mason but he was already 18 months so I am sure it was a little different. They don't have to take as much of the chalky stuff and they just watch them swallow it. I think it is much quicker and, at least for Mason, less traumatic. I hope that it goes well!

rubyred

swallow study

Postby rubyred » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:52 pm

my sweet girl Tessa has been in NICU for 50 days now, her due date was Monday but she stopped eating a few weeks ago and the doctors believe she has acid reflux. it's been slow to diagnose because she is not a puker, she just stopped eating one day and has since been very averse to food. We can usually get her to take 1/2 her volume orally and they have to gavage the rest. on Friday she had a GI study done and they found reflux so tomorrow she is being taken to the Children's Hospital for a Swallow Study. has anyone experienced one of these studies? I found the GI study heart breaking and painful for me to watch my baby girl strapped to a spine board with her arms over her head being fed that nasty chalky stuff. she did so well but it hurt to see her cry and not be able to comfort her. would appreciate it if anyone can let me know what to expect from a mom's point of view.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”