New NICU

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mommiesangel

Re : New NICU

Postby mommiesangel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 03:34 pm

quote:Originally posted by hols537

I heard our NICU is getting a simlilar makeover in the next few years. We had zero privacy too. The only walls were to separate the different levels. There were only a few feet between the isolettes and you could see and hear everything going on with all the other babies and parents. It's great that they share that with you!

Well as my father so nicely put it they better invite us because we paid for half of the dang thing LOL! Who knew that 5 1/2 wks in the NICU/Step down unit could cost so much for a preemie jezzz and thats with excellent health coverage too!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:46 am

I heard our NICU is getting a simlilar makeover in the next few years. We had zero privacy too. The only walls were to separate the different levels. There were only a few feet between the isolettes and you could see and hear everything going on with all the other babies and parents. It's great that they share that with you!

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Our NICU there were 6 kids in one room and even though they had blankets over the icelets (sp?) they could still see the babies when rooing them. Or when the nurses were breaking or their shifts were up we would hear them talking about their babies. The only time they put up a makeshift curtin was when a mom was bf but you could still see the mom from time to time. I can't wait to take the tour of the new NICU! DH & I are hoping to see the receptionst that everytime we came in knew our names and called the nurse even before we got a chance to wash our hands. Plus the nurses that were decicated just to Gabrielle that took just wonderful care of her.

I can't wait till the 29th when we can get our tour! I will try and take lots of pictures. My parents will be going too!

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Sun Mar 15, 2009 09:57 pm

Me too, jealous of the separate rooms!! Back when I had Jai it was one big (yet crowed) open space with no privacy what so ever! Good to know someone else experiencing a premature baby has that privacy.
From personal experience, I remember when Jai was getting very sick and needed her PDA surgery, every other mom and stranger within range not only heard the saddening news but watched me breakdown into a flood of tears.
How nice some privacy would have been.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Sun Mar 15, 2009 07:01 pm

I'm jealous of the separate rooms - we had little 'pods' that were separated by a wall but were open in the front - if you wanted privacy you had to pull the curtain. I love those little NICU graduate shirts - did the one you ordered have the name of the hospital on it? If not, PM me if you can and let me know where you got it.

mommiesangel

New NICU

Postby mommiesangel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 04:53 pm

Am so excited, we got our local NICU that Gabrielle was sent to after her early birth just got a brand new NICU. This one is all updated and has seprate rooms for each NICU baby with their own nurses. I can't wait to go...we have just ordered Gabrielle a special NICU Graduate shirt for that day!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”