overweight at 16 months

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
jenanderson

Re : overweight at 16 months

Postby jenanderson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 01:13 am

in some countries it is a sign of wealth if you have a chunky baby! apparently it means you can afford to feed it? And that bit of info...is from my pediatrician!

megan78

Postby megan78 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 09:23 pm

Thank you all for your support and kind words, it really does help! I haven't worried in the past because I know babies are chunky and I thought it was great, since he got down to 2lbs 3 oz at one point. And it was alot of work to gain that weight! He has his next pedi appt in two months for his 18 month needles. He has been walking since december, but now he's running! So he probably should be a little thinner, but oh, well. I've decided to get over it and not worry, he looks healthy and is so smart and wonderful, I'm not letting it bother me anymore! Thank you all so much! The shoes are a huge problem, though, becuase the feet are short and very chunky! No shoes fit him properly!

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:50 am

Echoing my ladies here. I wouldn't worry.
And yes, my former preemie has small feet too! She's 8.2 (second grade) and has just moved into a size 11 shoe after wearing size 10 since pre-k! *NO LIE* She has oodles of shoes since she stayed put so long. Her younger sister will be thrilled for the hand me downs!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:49 pm

WTG! I wouldn't worry about his weight. Like Kara said, he's probably due for a height growth spurt. And like Carole mentioned is he walking or has he been walking long? The weight tends to drop a bit when they are more active.

My 3rd daughter is 15 months old and was born at 36 weeks, 5 lbs 9 oz & 17.5 inches. We haven't had a height check since 12 months when she was 27.25 inches and 17.5 lbs. She's up to 18 lbs now but is starting to outgrow some of her 6-9 & 6-12 month sleepers so I know shes grown more in height than in weight. But she wears a 2.5-3 shoe so 3-4 sounds perfectly normal (and big even) to me!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Megan,
In my personal experience, my 31 weeker (2.8 ounces at birth), grew out, then up. So, she'd get chunky and then get taller and thin out, and then did it all over again. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Make sure your feeding him when he's hungry, but providing other sucking/chewing options when maybe he just needs to soothe himself.

Our daughter also has small feet. She is 3.25 years old and only in a size 6 shoe. She wore a size four for a year, it seemed. You'll probably notice that when he lengthens, he'll thin out and his feet will grow at the same time. When is your next pedi visit?

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:43 am

I can't help you with the preemie weight, I can only let you know where my daughter stands as she just visited the pediatrician this week.

She just turned 10months old. She was born at 39 weeks (the day I turned 39 weeks). I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. Doctors estimated her to be over 10 pounds!!! My blood pressure was a bit high that day and I was swelling a bit. He decided to take her via c-section when while on the monitors I got a very high blood pressure reading. She was born at 8lbs 9ozs. Today, at 10 months old, she weighs 21 lbs 9ozs and is 29.5 inches (same height as your son). That puts her in the 95th percentile for weight (which is where she has always been since birth) and the 75th percentile for height.

Our doctor decided that Hannah does not need to drink any juice, as it is just empty calories for her at her weight. I try to feed her only healthy alternatives and organic baby foods. I think she is perfect, doc seems to agree. A bit large,but she always has been so that is no change from when she was born.

I can see where your doc would want to watch his size, as this day in age, so many children are obese by the time they get to school age (sometimes before). How active is he? A lot of babies tend to lose that "chunky" look once they take off walking and running. How much does he eat during the day? Does the doc seem to think he is in the normal range for the amount of food he takes in?

I am no pediatrician, but it sounds to me like you have a big bouncing baby boy that has just made up for some lost ground. I think it's great; considering the alternative to his size... and besides... who doesn't love that chunky look. I told our doctor that this is the only time in my daughters life where a few teeth, a bald head, and chunky thighs is attractive, so she is working it while she can!!! :-)
Carole

megan78

overweight at 16 months

Postby megan78 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:32 am

Hi everyone!
My son Rowan was born Dec 3, 2007 at 29 weeks gestation. He was 2 lbs 11 oz and 15.5 inches long. It was difficult to gain weight at first, but we kept trying and now he is 16 months old and weighs 26 pounds and he is 29.5 inches long. The dr. says he is too heavy for his length. He is 5 percentile for height and 76 for weight. Has anyone else experienced this with a preemie? is he just short becuase he was early? My husband and all the men on my side are all tall and thin.
I feel silly worrying about my son being overweight at this young age. He doesn't look so big, just a little chunky and oh, so cute! My husband and the rest of my family were very angry that the Pediatrician indicated that he is overwieght and we need to worry. Has anyone else experienced this.....overwieght preemie? I know usually they are underweight!
Also, my sons feet are VERY small. He is wearing between at size three and four shoe. Is this normal?
Thanks.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”