Latching issues...

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Latching issues...

Postby moreheadcity » Fri Apr 24, 2009 09:24 pm

Hi girls!!! Gage has been home since Wednesday!!! He's doing really well eating his bottles and sleeping---that's about it!!!! I was practicing with him at NICU with breastfeeding and have been at home also. He's doing really well latching on and sucking a few times but he always gets frustrated and de-latches and back on and off and on and on and on. He IS getting milk b/c I pump to let down and it squirts out (tmi) but I can't seem to get him happily latched.........any tips??????!!!!!!
moreheadcity

Re : Latching issues...

Postby jenn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I'm not lactation consultant by any means.. but in my experience sometimes the let down is very intense when your giving milk to the "real deal" instead of the pump. If that is the case you could try pumping a little before you have him latch to ease the intensity.
Another cause could be lack of getting milk from him being impatient, the pumping before latching would come in handy here as well to get the milk flowing faster for his liking.
If he's been getting bottles mostly - this is very likely the case because of the ease of the flow from the bottle. Unfortunately breastfeeding is something they have to work for it and get frustrated from lack of ease.
If latching continues to be a problem, please contact your local le leache league coach. They can help you determine what's going on and further help you out. Especially if you need a nipple guard - I have never used one and wouldn't know how to direct you on that one.. but they are a little plasticy nipple cover that is suppose to help with latching complications.

And above all... CONGRATS on him being home! What a champ breezing his way out of that NICU!!
Hugs! Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:16 am

I had to use a nipple shield with Alexander because he did much the same thing. Definitely get in touch with a LLLI leader or lactation consultant before using one though. Even with support from a lactation consultant, Alexander NEVER nursed without it (a full year+) and I believe they can cause other issues like decreased supply from improper stimulation.

Way to go having Gage home and eating! Good luck with the BF!
hols537

Postby season » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:38 am

I want to second the suggestion of a nipple shield. It could lessen the difference between breast and bottle. Also, have you tried nursing him in different positions?

Definitely contact a lactation consultant. Often they will even watch him latch etc and give some specific ideas to help the both of you.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby moreheadcity » Sun Apr 26, 2009 01:45 pm

Thanks girls!!!! My lactation person at the hospital is really no help----with Annaliese either. So, I contacted a le leche woman. She is willing to come to my house so we are working out the details!!! I hope she'a a miracle worker!!! Gage has one thing Anna never did, a STRONG desire to breastfeed but we lack the ability (or maybe I just do!!!!!!) I'll let you know how it goes!
moreheadcity

Postby lilliputianmama » Mon Apr 27, 2009 07:02 pm

I would definitely try to talk to a lactation consultant. My 28-weeker just could never get the hang of breastfeeding, whatever we did. I ended up pumping for 8 months and just couldn't do it any longer. My 33-weeker, I just had to give up bottles and just let her nurse for as long as she wanted, whenever she wanted, and keep an eye on her weight. It worked and she breastfed about a year. Breastfeeding and preemies is tough work! GOOD LUCK!
lilliputianmama

Postby hols537 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 08:05 pm

I personally did not have good luck with the hospital lactation consultant, but saw a private one (on the recommendation of my son's pediatrician) who helped Alexander and I immensely.
hols537

Return to Parents of Preemies