SO UPSET.

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

SO UPSET.

Postby moreheadcity » Tue Apr 28, 2009 06:26 pm

Took baby Gage to his first pediatrician appointment today, 6 days after coming home. They sent us home with Neosure 3x/day and breastmilk the rest, every 3 hours (which is basically 2 hours once he finshes...yadayadayada. So, discharge, he was 4 pounds o.1 ounces. We started putting 40ccs in his bottle to see how he would do and he finishes it no prob, no spit ups. So, we figure we were ahead per say------and he would have gained like 6+ ounces.........NO. He is NOW 4 pounds 0.3 ounces. WTH!!!!!!!!! He has been eating 40cc bottles around the clock, never misses a bottle, not stressed etc etc------just eats and sleeps and seems happy, not sick-----doc said he looked "GREAT" and to bring him in Monday for a weight check. I just DO NOT GET IT. He hasn't lost, but his gain is PUNY at best. He was gaining MORE in the NICU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO UPSET :(
moreheadcity

Re : SO UPSET.

Postby ladybug76135 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 06:48 pm

Is this the first weight on the pediatrician's scale? If so, I would wait to worry until you do another weight check on Monday. There can be a significant difference between scales. Make sure on Monday that Gage wears the same amount of clothes as today and is weighed on the same scale. If you're really worried, have the pediatrician order home health and they can come weigh him at the house every day.

Good luck! It sounds like you're doing great!!!

ladybug76135

Postby catherine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:17 pm

Robyn is exactly right. No two sets of scales are calibrated exactly the same. That fact combined that Gage sounds like he's looking great and that you had positive eating news to share with the pediatrician might well explain why all they want is another weight check.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:41 pm

(((HUGS))) mama. Though it's hard, I have learned to really just try and go by how they are looking & acting. And try to trust if the Ped isn't concerned then they really are probably ok. My Ped said 1/2 a lb to 1 lb gain a month is what they hope for & Ali was consistently at the 1/2 a lb. mark. But she was gaining (and so is Gage!) so that's what's important. I bet he will surprise you on Monday with a several ounce gain now that he's used to that scale. :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby moreheadcity » Tue Apr 28, 2009 07:49 pm

I sure hope so :( I understand a difference b/t scales, but I expected SOME significant gain------I said to myself, 6 ounces would be an ounce a day but if he's like 4.4, that would be good...ugh. He does look great act great. Not crying, eating etc etc...... I just can't help but worry. I was terrified that he wouldn't EAT-----hard to get him to in NICU-----but he eats WAY better than expected and beyond!!! RARELY leaves any in the bottle and if he does, its like 5-10ccs nothing huge---but we were giving him "extra" so it didn't matter we thought but like I said, RARE to not finish the bottle. I've given him two bottles with 50cc instead of 40 to see if he tolerates it, and he is....so, that'll be the new norm and we'll see what happens Monday!!!!!! I guess I should be happy is is already over 4 pounds----at this point with Anna, she was 3.12------but never lost only gained.
moreheadcity

Postby mikeys mom » Wed Apr 29, 2009 07:11 am

I agree I think it is the change of scale Plus now that he is home he is probably using more calories to "see" what is going on around him. See what happens on Monday!!!!!
mikeys mom

Postby moreheadcity » Wed Apr 29, 2009 07:35 pm

Update:

Well the Le leche (sp) lady wasn't much help :( I guess I got a newbie or something. She was super smart and had a couple tips, but the end result is I need to buy an SNS to wear and try---my last hope. At the end of the hour she spent here, she told me that her senior person is an expert in preemies----------uh--------great. Little late. Apparently she was going to come with her but couldn't for whatever reason. Ugh. So, I woke up, cleaned my apartment, showered, dressed, makeup, got anna dressed and barely ate before she was here, I was in a hot sweat from it all----and now I have an exhausted boy from the half our I woke him up early and the 15 minutes we practiced---fun. I'll update when I get the sms. i went to buy one in town, the only place that supposedly has them, they were out.
moreheadcity

Postby aggie95mom » Thu Apr 30, 2009 03:05 pm

Not to mean that LLL doesn't have/offer great advice, but if you want to breastfeed, please consider finding a certified lactation consultant (though the one I found in my area was $150 for the initial consultation with 3 free follow-up visits). For me, the LLL gave me some great support, but it was the LC who successfully showed me how to BF my son and give me the tips/tricks that enabled me to do it well and consistently. Or see if you can get a visit/consult with the more expert LLL person. It is really difficult to feed small babies, especially when/if your breasts are on the large side, but it can be done. Best of luck!
aggie95mom

Return to Parents of Preemies