At what point would yube concened?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

At what point would yube concened?

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:12 am

I have a quick question..

Anna Grace was born at 33/5 at 2pd 13 oz and has taken forever to get to 16 pounds (we JUST did). She's 16 mo/14 adjusted now.

Question: She cruises around the tables, etc has a good reach, etc but she is uninterested in walking - at all. In fact she doesn't even like to practice walking although she does crawl like a mad woman. She's just started to stand for brief moments on her own so she's moving forward - I admit though that this is the same child who has only been in a stroller - ONCE so maybe we hold her a little too much but she does go to daycare...

When would you be concerned? We're getting tubes this week and I'm hoping that she'll start to try and walk a little more. Do you think this will make a difference?

I didn't bring it up at her 15mo check because they are always like, she needs to get fatter and honestly, I didn't have the strength to add one more you need to.... to the convo.

Thanks!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Re : At what point would yube concened?

Postby hols537 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 am

Alexander was a super-crawler. He crawled for more than 6 months and he didn't show any interest in walking until around 17 months. Then, he suddenly decided to try walking, and went 4 steps. He didn't try again for another month. He was about 18 months when he started walking. We got him "walking wings" and that seems to help him get the motivation.

If it were me, I'd bring it up at my next visit and get her evaluated if I was still concerned. I would think getting the tubes might set her back a little (discomfort from surgery, etc.), if anything. But, I assume she's sick often or getting tubes wouldn't be necessary, so maybe once she's feeling well on a consistent basis, she'll be more inspired...

Maybe you can ask daycare to encourage her more? Maybe they are actually reinforcing the "crawling is better" perspective. If she's small, maybe they've kept her in a "younger" room so she doesn't see as many young walkers?

Just some thoughts!

Wishing you luck. And, I don't think you have any reason to be especially worried. Normal range for walking is something like 11-18 months.
hols537

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 am

If she's small, maybe they've kept her in a "younger" room so she doesn't see as many young walkers?

Yep - you are right - she's still in with the little babies because of her size. I've asked them to move her up and they won't - because they are afraid she will get hurt. UGH!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am

Amanda, I don't think they get concerned with a full termer until closer to 18 months. In my experience, Avery who was for all intense purposes the same size as Anna Grace walked at 14 months actual...however, she learned how to pull up to standing and walk basically in the same week.

As for weight....don't let the docs make you feel bad. Hello - she started out 1/4 the weight of most babies. We had these conversations, too. The peds are used to looking at full termers all day long. Sometimes I think they forget where these little ones started. You can't force em to eat, you can only give them good choices (and by good, I mean fattening). My 3.5 year old just word 24 month pants to school today. A bit highwater on her, but perfect at the waist and droopy at the butt. :-)
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby lilliputianmama » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:06 am

I would voice your concerns with her doctor. My 33-weeker never would crawl. She really hated having any pressure put on her feet, too. We finally got her upright and walking at 18 months with the help of an occupational therapist but she skipped crawling completely. The conclusion was finally reached that Elise had sensory issues that were impeding on her ability to walk.

lilliputianmama

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 01:59 pm

Oscar went from basically not ever wanting out of my arms to walking in about a day and a half at 16 months, for what that's worth. :-)

He's a perfectionist, and he wasn't about to start walking until he knew he wouldn't fall. (Where'd he get that?)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jamie w » Wed Apr 29, 2009 02:22 pm

Amanda,
It may be partly that her balance is off and the tubes will help with that. If she feels off balance she will probably be more likely to crawl that walk. When the vestibular system is off balance is so difficult. It may be that when she pulls up and cruises she has something to hold onto thus less dizzy and unbalanced. KWIM? I would do whatever makes you most comfortable but I think I would be inclined to give her a month or so after tubes and see how things go. Also, my Anna who was full term is only between 20-21 lbs and she is 100% on her height. I know 16 and 20 lbs are alot of difference but they were also about that much difference at birth also. I have finally quit worrying about her weight and just decided she is going to be skinny and there is nothing I can do about that. I wish Dr's would realize that and leave us mothers alone about the weight. If they are eating and otherwise healthy what is the big deal?
jamie w

Postby lilillini » Wed Apr 29, 2009 04:05 pm

Mason is a giant stinker and didn't walk until 2 weeks before his 2nd birthday...after a whole year of physical therapy. I was at my wits' end. We even took him to a pediatric neurologist, who said that his delays were probably more attributable to preeclampsia than to prematurity. I found that fascinating, and definitely unsettling now that this little one has been in my preeclamptic body for weeks.

Anywhoo, it's definitely worth talking to your ped. about. Physical therapy may be recommended, because it's not just walking - after walking, there are still other milestones like running, jumping, walking up and down stairs, and Mason is (supposed to be) still in PT because he's slow to get those skills down too. He was also delayed in sitting up, crawling and cruising though. Anna Grace may just be taking her time for other reasons, but it's worth looking into so you don't go crazy later on like I did. ;)
lilillini

Postby heather j » Wed Apr 29, 2009 04:07 pm

Ella was full term and didn't start until close to 18 months (ironically, the ped said he'd be concerned if she wasn't walking by 18 months; she likes living on the edge). She was just like Caryn's Oscar - she wasn't about to take a step until she knew she wouldn't fall. And she didn't. She walked like a pro from the first step - it was just getting that first step.

She never did a true crawl, either. She'd sit on her bottom and lean forward on her arms and hop.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Apr 29, 2009 05:49 pm

WTG for 16 lbs!! That's great!! Ali is still trying for 19. She was 17 1/2 at her 12 month but in the past 4 months has only gained just over a pound. :::sigh:::

As far as walking, I have friends IRL and on-line who's kids at Ali & Anna's age were not walking yet - and they weren't even premature! One didn't even try and pull up or cruise until at least 16/17 months and his mom finally had him evaluated at about 19 months. He did PT for awhile and started walking around 22 months I think. I would guess in the next 1-2 months she will walk & maybe tubes will help her balance. If she's not walking by her 18 month appt. (which she'll only be 16 months adjusted) you can ask the Ped about PT or an evaluation. But since up to 18 months is considered the normal range for term babies I don't think you should worry. Easy said than done though!!

And I might ask about moving her up at daycare. At the gym where I go to they kept wanting to put Ali in the small infant area (which is under 1 year) but I said, nah, she has 2 big sisters - she can hold her own out here. And she does. New people still try to take her back there (I found her in a bouncy seat like 2 or 3 months ago - she must have thought they were crazy!!) but the people who know her usually step up right up and let her play with the "big" kids. I see her doing things (like carrying a play purse around or doing things with our play kitchen) that I know she had to have learned there. Anna would probably have good "big kid" role models if she got to be with kids her own age.

trish
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies