At what point would yube concened?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
hols537

Re : At what point would yube concened?

Postby hols537 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 am

Alexander was a super-crawler. He crawled for more than 6 months and he didn't show any interest in walking until around 17 months. Then, he suddenly decided to try walking, and went 4 steps. He didn't try again for another month. He was about 18 months when he started walking. We got him "walking wings" and that seems to help him get the motivation.

If it were me, I'd bring it up at my next visit and get her evaluated if I was still concerned. I would think getting the tubes might set her back a little (discomfort from surgery, etc.), if anything. But, I assume she's sick often or getting tubes wouldn't be necessary, so maybe once she's feeling well on a consistent basis, she'll be more inspired...

Maybe you can ask daycare to encourage her more? Maybe they are actually reinforcing the "crawling is better" perspective. If she's small, maybe they've kept her in a "younger" room so she doesn't see as many young walkers?

Just some thoughts!

Wishing you luck. And, I don't think you have any reason to be especially worried. Normal range for walking is something like 11-18 months.

amanda
Forum Moderator

At what point would yube concened?

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:12 am

I have a quick question..

Anna Grace was born at 33/5 at 2pd 13 oz and has taken forever to get to 16 pounds (we JUST did). She's 16 mo/14 adjusted now.

Question: She cruises around the tables, etc has a good reach, etc but she is uninterested in walking - at all. In fact she doesn't even like to practice walking although she does crawl like a mad woman. She's just started to stand for brief moments on her own so she's moving forward - I admit though that this is the same child who has only been in a stroller - ONCE so maybe we hold her a little too much but she does go to daycare...

When would you be concerned? We're getting tubes this week and I'm hoping that she'll start to try and walk a little more. Do you think this will make a difference?

I didn't bring it up at her 15mo check because they are always like, she needs to get fatter and honestly, I didn't have the strength to add one more you need to.... to the convo.

Thanks!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”