At what point would yube concened?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : At what point would yube concened?

Postby patty » Fri May 01, 2009 00:15 am

I would not worry. The normal range is 12 to 15 months and she is only 14 months corrected so since she is cruising and starting to stand on her own she will probably start actual walking anyday. Have you tried one of those walk behind toys they can be great for getting them interested. All of my kids would love them.

I used to work in the infant rooms alot when I was in daycare and I can understand about them being afraid she will get hurt by the bigger babies but you can still ask that they give her plenty of floor time just not necessarily in the same area or at the same time as the bigger infants. What are the ratios of teachers to babies there? Sometimes if it is high babies have to spend more time contained in exersaucers, bouncy seats, swings etc then is really good for their motor development.
patty

Re : At what point would yube concened?

Postby amanda » Fri May 01, 2009 03:57 pm

Thanks everybody!
I know I probably shouldn't be concerned but I'm still a little freakish about it - it seems like the other moms look at my daughter and are like - why is she so small? Why is she still in here when my little one is moving on? I know that it doesn't matter but still..

We did get tubes today and the ENT said that she had a lot of gunk behind her ears - hopefully that will help us to walk - she is just really unsure of herself.

Trish - I do agree with you she doesn't really get a lot of other kids her age socialization - most of the little kids in her room are in the 'containment' units - LOL!
Patty - The ratio of children to teachers is 1 to 5 so I think that's okay. They do allow her lots of floor time though but I know that they (like us!) spend a lot of time holding her because they say she's just so snugglable and just so much a peanut.

I guess I should be happy about them paying so much attention to her and know that, eventually, she'll walk...
amanda
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies