Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Positive blood cultures

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Positive blood cultures

Postby missdee » Thu May 07, 2009 03:50 am

by missdee (52 Posts), Thu May 07, 2009 03:50 am

I had a 32 weeker with blood sepsis after a week. They kept him on the antibiotics for 14 days and he was fine after that. The worst of yhe experience was the changing of the IV's we went through 11 because the antibiotics was so strong. We had a happy ending although it was very scary at the time! Hang in there
missdee

Postby patty » Thu May 07, 2009 11:26 am

by patty (667 Posts), Thu May 07, 2009 11:26 am

((hugs)) I hope he is doing better. Update when you can.
patty

Postby christie111777 » Fri May 08, 2009 07:37 am

by christie111777 (13 Posts), Fri May 08, 2009 07:37 am

Thank you guys for all yopur support and encouragement.

The final results was the culture is positive for a type of staph infection which is in the same category as MRSA (resistant to antibiotics and very deadly) BUT, thank god, the doctors are amazed, his infection is receptive to all antibiotics except penicillin. The infectious disease doctor said he's rarely seen anything like this. Usually it is MRSA he said in the NICU. And he said that since they caught it early he should hopefully recover with out incident. He needs 10 days of IV antibiotics and as long as he shows no signs of infection during that time, and his breathing improves, he can go home after that. I think that puts us around May 15, 2009.

The mass on his leg was evaluated by ortho and infectious disease and is believed to be from his vitamin K injection. The official xray report should be in today.

He is still on oxygen but slowly improving with that and he is mostly a good eater now. he is past his brith weight and has latched on the breast a few times now (though I'm still not producing enough milk...he gets a combination of breast milk and formula.)

Tonight I have a function at my sons older school (he's in a play-he's in second grade.) It will be the first time I've been to his school since Jake has been born. I am so nervous I'm just going to break down because I know so many people are going to be asking about Jake. Hopefully I can keep it together.

Thank you again and for all the support and encouragement. I don't know if I could do this with out this outlet. The tears come and I feel like I have a place to turn. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My heart and prayers to you Crystal for your loss. I can't imagine what you must have gone through. Thank you for be braving enough to come to this place and share with others. Thank you.
christie111777

Postby jenn » Fri May 08, 2009 09:24 am

by jenn (2038 Posts), Fri May 08, 2009 09:24 am

Christie,
Thanks for sharing an update. Big hugs to you, you have been through the wringer! Unreal that the infection turned out to be that type of staph!! Many blessings that he is responding to the meds!
And to hear they believe he'll be ready to come home around the 15th IS AWESOME!! Can't wait for that post!!
In regards to this evening... perhaps it would be best to prepare a response that you are comfortable with and gently let people know that Jake is recovering well, and that your looking forward to having him home, but it's very difficult to talk about right now.
I'm sure they will be very respectful.

Tell your son good luck for me tonight.. and "Break a Leg"!!
Much love to you and your family!! Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri May 08, 2009 09:28 am

by amanda (2216 Posts), Fri May 08, 2009 09:28 am

Christie-
I'm so glad to hear that Jake is doing so much better and that you guys have gotten such wonderful news! My hubby had MRSA (totally different I know from a baby) last summer and it was scary too - scary as well to think that it's pretty common, isn't it?

Sounds like Jake is quite a strong little boy!

I'm glad you will get to go to your son's school tonight as well -
Take care of yourself -

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat May 09, 2009 00:08 am

by fiona (5767 Posts), Sat May 09, 2009 00:08 am

Christie - what a great update. I am so relieved to read all this and hope Jake continues to do well.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby patty » Sat May 09, 2009 04:13 pm

by patty (667 Posts), Sat May 09, 2009 04:13 pm

Great News. I am glad he is responding well and they caught it early. So happy for you that he will be home soon!
patty

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies