Am I insane??? UPDATE:

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Am I insane??? UPDATE:

Postby moreheadcity » Tue May 05, 2009 04:55 pm

Well, over tha past few weeks, dealing with an almost four year old and a newborn preemie, trying to breastfeed (TRIED EVERYTHING and FAILED anyway), up all night, no time for showers/food/or ANYTHING during the day---------I've decided I AM insane and am not having any more kids. That's the end of my insanity ;) I'm finally sane to the fact that one was probably enough and two is PLENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!

I am totally wanting another baby---like---now. I think it's b/c there is ZERO reason to have another baby b/c of the HELLP times TWO mind you------and Mark is SUPPOSED to get a vasectomy but is slacking on it----naturally. He said he might get some sperm frozen "JUST IN CASE" and that made me contimplate it even more!!!!!! Everyone tells, me, you are LUCKY to have two healthy kids dont have any more-------and they are all right...so what's wrong with me?
moreheadcity

Re : Am I insane??? UPDATE:

Postby jenn » Tue May 05, 2009 06:54 pm

Ya' know I think there's something about putting a number on how many children and the idea of making a permanent decision on birth control that does this to a woman.
Add in risk factors and it's a whirl-wind of emotion.
I totally understand from experience.
I had a tubal when Talia was born, when I brought her home and was holding this amazing baby - I PANICKED! What had I done?!
That being said and knowing what that feeling was like, I could never recommend anyone do anything permanent without being 100% sure.
I can see your not feeling 100% sure. And that's ok! Really!
Take your time and don't pressure yourself into having to make a choice right now.
With your hubby not in a rush for the big "V", I'm thinking this would be a great opportunity for you two to talk about and see how one another feels.
Wishing you all the best!-Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby carjashaner » Tue May 05, 2009 08:58 pm

I know how you feel as well. I had a horrible pregnancy experience for the entire nine months this time, and had a tubal right after my c-section delivery. I know in my heart that I couldn't take another pregnancy like that. My body still has not recovered from this past one. But, for some reason, every time I look at my daughter I think of how wonderful it would be to have another. I'm wondering if it is just a thought that goes through all our minds. I don't regret my decision to have a tubal... I am 40 years old and I know I made the right choice for my family situation, but I still find myself wondering......
carjashaner

Postby megan78 » Wed May 06, 2009 00:21 am

I totally know how you feel. When my son was still in the hospital (he was there for 53 days due to being born 29 weeks) I could not stop thinking about getting pregnant again and having another baby. I even told the nurse in the hospital before I checked out that I would be back in a year.....I SO wanted to get pregnant right away....Now with my little 17 month old running around, boy am I GLAD I didn't listen to myself. It must be hormones or something. I had an awful time, on bedrest, etc. and cannot fathom doing it again (not that I won't). But I totally remember those feelings...they are so strong, too.
Don't do it! At least not yet!
megan78

Postby missgamecock » Wed May 06, 2009 03:18 am

Totally know what you mean. Every time I have said NO MORE. I don't make a good pregnant woman. I am considering a fourth in a couple of years. I decided to wait and see where we are at in a couple of years.
missgamecock

Postby lilliputianmama » Wed May 06, 2009 11:30 am

We delayed getting a vasectomy (I told my husband if he wanted it, he needed to make the appointment and he wanted me to make the appointment). Anyways, I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant even though I was taking birth control. My doctor was surprised but not upset and we have a game plan for this pregnancy.
lilliputianmama

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Jun 06, 2009 01:10 pm

After Hannah was born, I asked my ob to tie my tubes and he said no. I was so mad at him! But I am so glad he didn't, because now we are having number two. But this, my friend, is my last baby for sure. I am 150% sure I don't want to be pregnant again after this, so I am having a tubal during my c-section. If you are not 100% sure, then I would wait it out. You don't want to go through life with regrets.
hannahsmom

Postby moreheadcity » Sat Jun 06, 2009 08:28 pm

Well, we are going to get some sperm frozen I guess. That way, no matter what we can have children again IFFFFFFFFFFFF we changed our minds. But, I think not. I'm getting too old for this!!!!!!! OMG that freaks me out!
moreheadcity

Postby surefoott » Mon Jun 08, 2009 09:41 am

Ditto what others have said. Don't do it until you are 150% sure (or more). And I don't know how anyone can even be that sure. And even then, don't assume that things won't change. I had many many regrets and was surprised that I did. I think it is an extremely difficult decision, and doesn't take into account that life and situations might be different in a few months/years, etc. Good luck with what you decide.
surefoott

Return to Parents of Preemies