Post Reply FAQ Members Login

please sleep baby!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : please sleep baby!

Postby joker » Tue May 12, 2009 12:07 am

by joker (1212 Posts), Tue May 12, 2009 12:07 am

ok, I think we have progress! I started a new feeding schedule so that she is eating more during the day and evening and the last feeding is at 1am. She is basically sleeping from 1:30-6am now and is only waking up once in between, but not to eat, just to fuss and goes right back to sleep once I pick her up...so that feels like a little bit of progress! At least I am getting a pretty good solid four-five hours in a row!
joker

Postby fancy19 » Tue May 12, 2009 01:19 pm

by fancy19 (102 Posts), Tue May 12, 2009 01:19 pm

I remember from the 1st month in the NICU to the 2nd and 3rd month at home we were feeding her a certian amount of food and gradually increasing it but learned our lesson. She wouldn't sleep good for a while and then we just fed her till she stopped....helped the sleeping and made us realize we probably wern't feeding her enough!
We also transitioned froma swaddle to the sleep sacks and she loves them.
fancy19

Postby surefoott » Thu May 14, 2009 08:54 am

by surefoott (460 Posts), Thu May 14, 2009 08:54 am

I have really decided that there are just some babies who don't sleep much! My oldest was that way. I thought I was doing something wrong; she slept for very short periods of time, and this is the kid who dropped her afternoon nap way before the age of 2. And guess what? Now SHE has a little one that also sleeps just short periods and at almot 6 months, is only taking a couple very short naps during the day. Payback maybe, I don't know! It is difficult when they are babies becuae you never get that 'long stretch' to rest, do house stuff or whatever. I used to have friends who would talk about their 3-yr-old taking a 2 hour afternoon nap and I would be "WHAT???!!!" My daughter wasn't a fussy baby, she just didn't sleep much; and didn't seem to require much sleep. She was my only one like that. I ended up hauling her around in her little seat so she could always be in the room I was in. I don't have any advice just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I agree though with whoever said that about as soon as you get her on some sort of sleep schedule, she will change it up a bit!!!! Good luck to you! And I love her name, BTW.
surefoott

Postby jenn » Thu May 14, 2009 10:37 am

by jenn (2038 Posts), Thu May 14, 2009 10:37 am

My sympathies.
My Natalia has never been a sleeper - EVER! She's 4 1/2 and still not a good sleeper and has NEVER napped! Even as an infant. *uhg*
I agree with Jackie, some babies are just not programed good sleepers. It's stressful and frustrating I know.. so please make sure that you get a break here to recharge your batteries. It's VERY important to have a happy and well rested mama.

One thing that comes to mind, because I had much success with my niece with one.. is one of those vibrating papasan baby deals. IT was heaven! Not sure if it was the vibrating or the incline.. but it worked wonders!

I send my best wishes that she turns around and becomes a great sleeper!!
Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies