UPDATE: soon to be mom of 34 week little angel

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : UPDATE: soon to be mom of 34 week little angel

Postby sckitzo » Mon May 18, 2009 10:44 am

My 33 Weeker, was in the NICU for a total of 26 days, she was 3pds 3ounces. The first week was for jandice and keeping her temp up, then next two weeks was trying to get her to eat, she was ready just lazy. Once I conviced the Dr's to take out her feeding tube (they did not want to B/C of her weight) she came home two days later eating fine. I think for the most part a baby without many complications can come home closer to the 36 week gestation, but if they have more issues then they are more likely to go home closer to term. And of course you will hear from the doctors that every baby is different.

Mine came home at 36 1/2 weeks gestation 4pds on the nose. And yes Girls tend to due way better as premies, so that is a good thing. It is still possible that she could have some breathing issues, and trouble mantaining temp. They will prob look at her heart and head, just as a precaution so don't let that worry you.
sckitzo

Postby lilillini » Mon May 18, 2009 12:08 am

My 34-weeker was in the NICU for 10 days, but got to go to recovery and my room with me right after birth. Her breathing was fine, she just had trouble tolerating feedings because of the mag. sulfate in her system. She did have jaundice and have to be under the lights for a couple of days, and then once she started oral feedings, it took her a few days to start gaining, but she has done amazingly well. She gained 2 ounces/day between coming home on Sunday and her first appointment on Friday!

My 32-week boy spent 6 weeks in the NICU and had a lot more issues there than my girl. It was a very different experience.
lilillini

Postby joker » Tue May 19, 2009 00:15 am

My 34 weeker spent two weeks in NICU. I had also had the steriod shots for lung maturity and she didn't require any O2. She was in the NICU because she wasn't regulating her body temps and needed to learn how to eat enough at feedings. She's been home for about 2.5 weeks now and has gained a pound already!
joker

Postby amanda » Tue May 19, 2009 12:28 am

My 33/5 weeker needed 19 days in the NICU but that was totally because she didn't want to eat very much (stinker!). We, like Jen, had the steroid shots and she never needed any 02. In fact, other than the terrific gain Alison has had, Jen and I had an almost exact same experience!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby mommakk » Wed May 20, 2009 08:04 pm

FOLLOW UP
Bethany Marie was born May 19th weighing 5 lbs 6 oz and measuring 18 inches long. Despite the steroid shots, she is still having trouble breathing. She is on CPAP with a little bit of O2 support. Everything else is looking good. She is just beautiful. She was in quite a hurry to get here. She decided it was time and she just popped out. the nurse had to try to hold her in until support got there. Was a bit chaotic!! Doctor didnt make it into the room before she made her appearance!!!

We have some NICU time ahead of us, but she is doing well! Thnanks for your support!
mommakk

Postby jenn » Wed May 20, 2009 08:36 pm

Kathy, Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!! She sounds precious!!
My thoughts and prayers that she continues to do well and gets home soon.
Much love, Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed May 20, 2009 08:47 pm

Congrats!! She's a really good size - almost the exact size of my 36 weeker actually! Hope your NICU stay is short and she's home with you ASAP. :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed May 20, 2009 09:41 pm

She's bigger than my 36 weeker - that's AWESOME! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Thu May 21, 2009 07:14 am

Congratulations! Hope you have a short NICU stay.
hols537

Postby brooklynsmom » Fri May 22, 2009 09:42 am

Congratulations, and here is to a short NICU stay!
brooklynsmom

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies