Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Gagging?!?!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Gagging?!?!

Postby hope08 » Wed May 20, 2009 04:59 pm

Has anyone experienced their baby gagging? I had my daughter at 34 weeks and she was on a ventilator for 1 day and then went on room air.I've only noticed it two times but she starts gagging and then it seems like she cant catch her breath.Of course it scares me and I pick her up and pat her back and sometimes suction her mouth.Is this normal? I took her to her check up and forgot to mention the situation because the first one was two weeks ago,and it hadn't happened again until today.Her lungs sounded fine.Has anyone experienced this?
hope08

Re : Gagging?!?!

Postby trish » Wed May 20, 2009 08:44 pm

Could be reflux. Ali gagged/choked & even turned blue around her mouth with reflux. Does she spit up a lot or arch her back & cry after feedings?
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby moreheadcity » Wed May 20, 2009 08:45 pm

Gage gags. Annaliese gagged. They told me preemies have a very sensitive gag reflex-----Gage gags ALOT more than Anna did. The bottle, the paci, and sometimes NOTHING makes him gag. Good luck!!!!!
moreheadcity

Postby hope08 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm

She does arch her back and fusses sometimes after feedings.WOW!!!on the turning blue that would scare the daylights out of me!!!Should I ask them to check her for reflux?Is there anything you can do to prevent/lessen the episodes?
hope08

Postby trish » Thu May 21, 2009 03:42 pm

Ali started refluxing while still in the hospital & it *really* bothered her so she was on meds by 2 weeks. We just kept her upright (either in a bouncy seat, the swing or her carseat) or I wore her in my Moby wrap. She slept in her carseat nearly every night for a year & still does when she is congested. She's still under 20 lbs & not too tall so thankfully she still fits at nearly 17 months LOL!

You can have an upper GI done to diagnose reflux but it's very unpleasant (for mama & baby) so often Dr's will perscribe meds based on symptoms. I would certainly give your Ped a call and see what they think. If you are FF, Enfamil has an AR (added rice) formula that could help. If you are BF sometimes babies are sensitive to things in your diet like dairy & citrus so eliminating those triggers *can* help. Good luck!!
trish
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies