Post Reply FAQ Members Login

My preemie got a special award at school!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

My preemie got a special award at school!

Postby hannahsmom » Sat May 30, 2009 09:01 am

Another proud preemie momma moment...

Hannah had a tough beginning to school, and had to repeat kindergarten. She had barely made the age cutoff, and would not have even started that first year if she had been born on time, but we decided to go ahead and give it a try that first year, even though she was the youngest in the class. She had a hard time learning to read and had to repeat kindergarten. She had a wonderful teacher the second time around, and had a wonderful first grade teacher this year. I went to her awards ceremony Thursday, and the final award was the biggest and most prestigious award of the year. It was for the student who scored the highest percentage on their accelerated reader tests for the books they had read throughout the year. She said this student scored an average of 98% on her tests, which is not an easy feat. When she called out Hannah's name as the recipient of the award, I about fell out of my chair. The tears started to well up in my eyes and I could barely focus the camera. All of the words from the NICU doctor went through my head..."she has a brain bleed, which could cause retardation, cerebal palsy, learning disabilities, and her prematurity could cause blindness or deafness..." We told him we didn't care...she would be the same child to us and we would absolutely love her just the same. It's been a tough road these seven years including her recent diagnosis of seizures, but boy, if the NICU could see her now! From a kid who hated to read to the kid with the highest score on the reading tests - we are so proud! I just had to share!
hannahsmom

Re : My preemie got a special award at school!

Postby jenn » Sat May 30, 2009 10:07 am

Suzanne!!!
Amazing! Congratulations to you and Hannah!! Please be sure to give her a big hug and a high five for me!

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sat May 30, 2009 10:25 am

Congrats momma and Hannah. It sounds like she is really thriving.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby lilillini » Sat May 30, 2009 11:00 am

That's wonderful! Congratulations to you both!
lilillini

Postby trish » Sat May 30, 2009 02:11 pm

How wonderful!!! Congrats! :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby emersons mom » Sun May 31, 2009 11:01 pm

Crying reading your post, so happy for you! and Hannah! I love your new avatar, man has she grown up, she looks like a teen model! Of all the things you had to worry about, can you imagine if a bird whispered in your ear back in the NICU this one award, now just imagine all she will do and astonish you with in the future, including being a great big sister I bet, congrats on that...wow!!! get the camera charged and the albums ready .... loads of great surprises to come i bet!

Congratulations!
emersons mom

Postby jdsmom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 02:46 pm

Hey Suzanne,
Haven't been on here for forever, but when I saw your name, I wanted to hear what was happening. WOW! I totally am still bawling from your post. Isn't it amazing??? What an overcomer little miss Hannah is! I bawled through little Jimmy's kindy award ceremony too ;) he was on the honor roll also after a rough start in pre-k ;) What a difference a good teacher can make - and what lucky Mommy's we are.
jdsmom

Postby theartsymom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 03:44 pm

Congratulations!!!!
theartsymom

Return to Parents of Preemies