Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New Here/Introduction

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

New Here/Introduction

Postby catgrl1972 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:21 pm

by catgrl1972 (21 Posts), Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Hello everyone, just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Charlotte and I have been married to my husband Carlos for 11 years, we now have 3 sons: Joshua 4, Lucas 2, and Benjamin is just about 3 weeks.

Benjamin was born at 34 weeks gestation due to pre-e. Although it wasn't severe, because I had a kidney tranplant in 2001, they are overly cautious. Originally the plan was for me to remain as an inpatient until around 37 weeks or if symptoms get worse. Well, got the steriod injections, and a couple of days later my headaches continued and my bp's were increasing even though I was on bedrest so the MFM doctors decided that it would be best if I deliever. So, baby benjamin was born on June 30th at 34 weeks 1 day gestation. His apgars were 7 and 8...birthwieght 5lbs 1.2 oz and 18.5 inches in lenght. I was pretty impressed with is size considering he was born 6 weeks early.

He overall did pretty good. Spent like 17 days in the NICU/Special care nursery. He was discharged this past Thursday so this past weekend we have just be acclemating ourselves of having our little one home. He is doing well, he is eating every 4, although, many times we need to wake him for his feeds. Definately setting the alarm clock overnight! But I am just glad he is finally home. As most of you can attest, it is very difficult to leave the hospital without your child. It is like leaving a piece of you behind and that is not the way it is supposed to be after you give birth. But, sometimes things don't always go according to our plan right?

Well, I look forward to getting to know all of you. Thank you for listening! :)
catgrl1972

Re : New Here/Introduction

Postby jenn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 08:07 am

by jenn (2038 Posts), Tue Jul 21, 2009 08:07 am

Hi Charlotte and welcome to our Parents of Preemies forum!!
Congrats on your new little guy Benjamin!
Thanks for sharing your story, it sounds like you have been through the wringer you poor thing.
So happy to hear that you are both home and doing so well.
We have an outstanding group of ladies here and we are always happy to lend an ear and share our advice on the challenges of raising a little one born too soon.
Looking forward to future updates on Benjamin!
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby sarab » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:56 am

by sarab (2950 Posts), Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:56 am

Hi Charlotte, and welcome!

Like Jenn, I'm so happy to read to read that you and your little guy are both home. How are you doing since delivery? Any lingering health issues for you?

Sounds like you have been enjoying your time with Benjamin this weekend, and just getting used to having him around! What do the older boys think of their new brother?

Welcome again, and feel free to look around and ask questions.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby pld0804 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 pm

by pld0804 (203 Posts), Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi Charlotte. Welcome and congratulations on the birth of your little guy!

Coincidently, my son was born on June 29th (one day difference) a year ago, also at 34 weeks.

Looking forward to hearing updates on how you're doing!
pld0804

Return to Parents of Preemies