Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Coming Home Advice

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Coming Home Advice

Postby moni » Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:08 am

by moni (5 Posts), Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:08 am

We have the green light for Monday to bring Bethany home. This weekend the boys are going to their grandmother's home so we can just relax, but I was wondering what advice comes after when all the monitors are gone and you think "OK now what?" lol.
moni

Re : Coming Home Advice

Postby jenn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:26 pm

by jenn (2038 Posts), Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:26 pm

omg! congrats on the "green light!" WOO HOO!
I (and no doubt everyone here) can relate to your feelings of "now what".

High five to Grandma for taking the boys! What a kind gesture to give you the opportunity to come home and adjust. :o)
As for advice... well... it's safe to assume you'll be sleeping with one eye open - if at all ;o)
And your pediatrician will most likely be on speed dial to answer any uncertain moments.
Other than that, it's the best feeling in the world to be in your own home and cuddle your peanut in your arms without any interruption.
Enjoy it mama!!

If you have any non-emergent questions, please feel free to jot us a post here. We have been there and will be happy to share our input.
Sending you all my best!! Can't wait to here how Monday goes!!
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby julieb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:46 pm

by julieb (364 Posts), Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:46 pm

Congratulations!!! Those first days without monitors are so hard but so amazing. Our hospital has a "Care by Parent" room for the NICU parents to stay in the night before they take their babies home. We did that and it was so comforting having the nurses right down the hall and we got used to Mason not being on monitors. Our NICU nurses kept reminding us that they wouldn't send Mason home unless he was ready to be off the monitors. Good luck and enjoy your baby!!!
julieb

Postby sheri-ct » Wed Aug 05, 2009 07:44 pm

by sheri-ct (685 Posts), Wed Aug 05, 2009 07:44 pm

It can feel scary when the monitors come off. When I walk in the NICU to get them, their monitors were off and they we ready to go. My heart dropped. I thought I would pass out, but we all did great! Enjoy and take lots of pictures!
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies