Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I'm tired of using the bucket seat...

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : I'm tired of using the bucket seat...

Postby season » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:58 pm

by season (1416 Posts), Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm so sorry you are struggling with her slow growth. It does sound like getting her evaluated would be a good idea. Many kids improve a lot with therapy. Getting new clothes sounds like a good plan - just to give you and her a little boost. Just because they still fit does not meant hat she has to wear them.

FYI - as car seats go the bucket is no safer than a convertible - as long as the child fits the seat. Some babies start out rear facing in a convertible seat. If you want her in a convertible seat, then by all means put her in one. Keep in mind though that it is safer to rear face until at least the age of 2 (the new AAP recommendation.)

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a

Also, keep in mind that in many states the law requires a minimum of 1 year old and 20 pound before forward facing. Many car seat as well have requirements of at least 22 pounds and some also have height requirements for forward facing.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby jamie w » Tue Sep 01, 2009 06:24 am

by jamie w (978 Posts), Tue Sep 01, 2009 06:24 am

Amanda,
IIRC EI's whole thing is that they are supposed to meet the child where they are. I know they will provide services at a daycare so I do not see why they couldn't do the eval at daycare. I would certainly give them a call.
jamie w

Postby amanda » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 am

by amanda (2216 Posts), Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 am

So I went ahead and made the call yesterday - witing now on getting a 'new' intake evaluation done so we can get started. I talked with them and you are right Jamie - they will do the sessions at daycare but I'm such a control freak that I really want to be there (I know, silly) I'm hoping that as we get to understand what they are doing that I'll release some of my control on the issue.

SueAnn - thanks for the pep talk on the clothes - I think that buying her some new things WILL help my attitude about the clothes - sometimes I feel like I *just can't* look at them any more. Then of course I remind myself how lucky I am to be feeling like that - things could have been much much different. Backwards/Forwards I don't care - I'll take either.

Thanks all!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 01:44 pm

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Tue Sep 01, 2009 01:44 pm

Here's a site on carseats. I never used the buying guide, but it has links to all the other important safety sites, so I always go from there :) http://www.carseatdata.org/

For what it's worth, I moved Jonathan out of his bucket seat shortly after his 6 month visit (he was 18.7lbs and 27.5") into a Britax Roundabout (rear-facing). I just was done with the bucket seat's weight and huge size (the passenger seat could not be back at all). He has been safe and comfortable ever since.
hols537

Postby jamie w » Tue Sep 01, 2009 06:37 pm

by jamie w (978 Posts), Tue Sep 01, 2009 06:37 pm

Amanda,
i am glad you called them. I also am a control freak- and a micro managing control freak at that. Eventhough they come to our house I felt like I had to be there even if my husband is home. So I was there the first few times and then decided I had to let some of my control go and started not requiring that I be there for all sessions so I totally understand what you mean. Best of luck!!!
jamie w

Postby audrey s. » Thu Sep 03, 2009 05:46 pm

by audrey s. (197 Posts), Thu Sep 03, 2009 05:46 pm

We had a problem with the rear-facing seat, IIRC, in that my daughter at those ages was too tall but did not weigh enough. So her legs were literally sticking into the upholstery of the seat and as she grew taller, she could not extend her legs at all. That did not seem "safer" to us, so we turned her around a bit early weight-wise so that she could move her feet around. She got a foot stuck once when she was kicking away, and that was what prompted us to turn her around (I don't remember the age, though, now that she's 14!).

She definitely took forever to grow out of things, and was wearing 2-Ts to pre-K at the age of 4. Now she is a bit shorter than most of her friends and still slender, even though she wasn't all that small when she was born. I grew 5 inches during my three high school years, though, so I keep telling her not to worry, she WILL grow!
audrey s.

Postby season » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 pm

by season (1416 Posts), Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Lots of kids rear face until the age of three or four. They just find a position for their legs. It is safer, even with longer legs - forward facing before the age of 2 increases the risk of spinal injury. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends it because there is a clear risk of toddlers forward facing.

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a
season
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies