You know your a premie parent when...

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
angelr

Re : You know your a premie parent when...

Postby angelr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah, I will never forget the smell of that hand scrub with the brush attached. Also, I recall the security guard waving me in with my bags of breast milk. It was such a sad, hopeful, unreal time...

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 03:37 pm

wow...exactly...so true... :)

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 02:52 pm

BTDT except the nicu nurse.

klutsyone01

Postby klutsyone01 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:59 am

Lol. Tears fill my eyes. The secret jealously is so hard. At work i was due within a month of each other about seven women. we were the only ones that had problems. I was so bitter. The he's so small isn't true anymore. He's in 90% unadjusted. But the looks of shocks when they say he's so big for that age and i respond he's premature. It feels me with happiness.

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:37 am

So true.

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Yup. My two week old six pound baby gets the "He's so little" comment everywhere. I say "they come smaller, you know."

blznbec

Postby blznbec » Wed Jan 27, 2010 03:52 pm

5 1/2 years later still brings memories back!

My favorite and still happens, because he is 'still' small as a little boy!

'While everyone else coos, "He's so tiny!" your six-pound baby looks huge to you.'

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:23 am

Too true! I will always remember washing my hands constantly and developing hives!!!! Ugh!

jennieexpo

You know your a premie parent when...

Postby jennieexpo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 01:09 pm

Found this online and thought it was cute/funny. I thought it would make a few of you smile :)

If this list looks familiar, you might be a parent of a preemie baby! We have to laugh about it to keep our sanity! :)

You know you're a preemie parent when...

*You measure everything in cc's

*Luxury = sleeping three hours in a row

*You can change your baby's diaper with one hand

*In the course of the same day, you have wanted to slap and bear hug the same NICU nurse

*You feel a secret pull of jealousy when one of your friends delivers full term

*You have gotten a rash on your hands from washing with hot water and the NICU soap... eight times in one day

*The statement "breastfeeding is simple and natural" makes you laugh -- or cry, depending on the day and the hour.

*Your baby has ever outgrown an outfit... while s/he was wearing it.

*You cry when you're happy, laugh when you're mad, and throw things across the room when you're sad.

*You could drive the route from your house to the hospital in your sleep... and maybe you have.

*You can't remember what you talked about before feeding schedules, diapers, and growth charts.

*You're more interested in your baby's diaper than the State of the Union

*Your idea of a vacation is walking outside to get the mail

*When someone offers you their hand to shake, you think twice, envisioning the germs that you might take home from them

*The sound of your baby crying is beautiful, not annoying.

*While everyone else coos, "He's so tiny!" your six-pound baby looks huge to you.

*Your heart almost bursts with love at least once a day

*You would climb to the top of Mt. Everest, barefoot, if it would help your baby to grow healthier, bigger, or stronger.

*You not only know what "bilirubin" is, you have had several extensive conversations about it.

*You never knew how grateful you could feel that your baby has gained an ounce.

*You know where all the vending machines are on your floor of the hospital... and which ones have the good snacks.

*You literally live your life one hour at a time.

*The security guard at the front door of the hospital just waves you in when he sees you.

*You are grateful for the smallest things now -- a shower, clean socks, a meal that you didn't have to cook, a friend who has a whole conversation with you without offering you any useless advice.

*When someone asks you what scent you're wearing, you say "Germ-X" without batting an eye.

*You had to give up your shower today to make time to read this list.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”