Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Does your older preemies do this too?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Does your older preemies do this too?

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 am

by mommiesangel (444 Posts), Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 am

Gabrielle is now 2 1/2 yrs old we haven't switched her to a toddler bed yet because of having mattress issues & our blocker doesn't fit properly with our crib. We don't put the railing up anymore so it acts as a full blocker. Once she turned 2 she started to sleep in the corners or the side where the railing is. She will put her hand inbetween the hole and her face is against the railing. She does this in the corners of her crib too. Does your little ones do this?

We have also started to potty train her...with so far no success :0< My mom bought her underwear that has her fav people on them. We put them on her a few times and she gets so upset that she screams no like it, take them off please and will rip and tear till she gets them off or we take them off. We tried putting them on over her diaper and she again freaked out. Is this very common for this to happen with a preemie??
mommiesangel

Re : Does your older preemies do this too?

Postby aundapenner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 04:31 am

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Thu Feb 04, 2010 04:31 am

Hallie - IMO this is not a preemie thing - just a normal kid thing.

Henry's grandparents bought a "car" bed for him. He's 3.5 and still loves to sleep up in the edges or under by the "hood".

And as far as potty training - my only advice is to follow her lead. If she's not ready, she's simply not ready. It's okay for her to not want to wear big girl panties yet. She's communicating with you that she does not want to/can't potty train right now.

FWIW - Henry didn't potty train until well after 3 years of age. And he occassionally has accidents and still wears a diaper to sleep at naptimes and bedtime.
aundapenner

Postby klutsyone01 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:47 am

by klutsyone01 (105 Posts), Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:47 am

Hmmm. My preemie is seven months but since three months he pushes his face into the crib bars. He won't sleep unless his face is smushed against something. Sometimes when he wakes up he has intentson his face. Lol
klutsyone01

Postby missgamecock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 02:48 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Thu Mar 25, 2010 02:48 pm

I don't think it is a preemie thing. I don't know anything different. Sara and Cate squish up to whatever they can. Kirsten sleeps and always has splayed out.

Kirsten potty trained at 3 and so did Sara. With Kirsten it was a long process. With Sara, once everyone left her alone, she just started going on her own. She potty trained overnight literally. I still have an open bag of pullups that only has like 2-3 used out of it she potty trained so quick.
missgamecock

Return to Parents of Preemies