Potty Training

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Potty Training

Postby bernadic » Sat May 22, 2010 09:09 pm

Hi ladies. My son is 3 years old born at 27 6/7 in Dec of 06. All of his 3 year old friend are potty trained. He is not! If I set the timer every hour, he will go. He will not go #2 at all in the toilet. Day care is not very helpful at all. They try but it is a busy at home day care with 10 kids and 2 helpers so they will not do what I do with the timer and forcing him to go every hour. Were your preemies delayed in this issue? Any suggestions as I am frustrated and he can't go to preschool unless he is totally trained. I am even thinking of switching day cares even though I like this one because I know the lady and it is super clean! Help! Thanks.
bernadic

Re : Potty Training

Postby hols537 » Sun May 23, 2010 09:19 am

My 3 year old (8 weeks early preemie) just finished potty training several weeks ago. Most of his peers are just completing potty training and he was one of the first in his preschool class. I don't think you have reason to worry at this point though. Boys tend to be a little later on potty training and many boys are not trained until at least 3. If you want to message me, I'm happy to share the method I used. It was highly effective for us and came from a licensed social worker who specialized in potty training (including special needs children). It's based upon a 3 day weekend so you wouldn't necessarily need daycare to be onboard with a timer and forcing.
hols537

Postby canuckmom » Sun May 23, 2010 01:00 pm

My son was the last one in his preschool to be using the toilet. He just wasn't ready and showing no interst in learning, so I went with his timetable. Once he decided he was ready, it happened overnight. He was 3 years 7 months. I can count on one hand the number of times he had accidents. He wore pull-ups overnight until he was 4 and a half. Any way the daycare could just let him be until he's ready? Good luck
canuckmom

Postby mnmom » Mon May 24, 2010 08:06 am

We also used a rather intense, potty party/bootcamp weekend with our son and it worked great. But- he was already showing interest in using the potty. I would try that vs changing from a comfortable daycare that you trust. Also, many kids backslide in potty training when their schedule or routine are changed-such as changing daycare.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby rebeccac » Mon May 24, 2010 07:13 pm

(I'm going to sound like a bad mom here...), I let my son have accidents in his underwear (I stay at home so this might not work for you). One day he had a major pee pee accident on the living room floor. I told him next time, put it in the potty. He did. He was fully trained by 26 months
rebeccac

Postby glimmer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 02:38 am

I think it's hard to train them before they show any interest. I also heard that one sign is that they have dry diapers after napping (our son does not). I think there is a difference between being "trained" in the sense that the child announces it has to go and "catching it", which is more us mothers being trained ... What seems to work for us is to let hom go naked now in the summer. When he runs has to go he runs to the potty. However, he did start to show interest in the whole potty thing before we tried.
glimmer

Postby srvirgo93 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 am

I have a 3 year old (born at 33 weeks) girl who is not potty trained either. I have the same issue they will not move her into the 3's class until she is potty trained, but I don't think they are doing much to help her at daycare. We sit on the potty when she wakes up and in the evenings when she is at home. She will actually go in the potty in the morning and before I put her in the bed after she has had a bath. When I pick her up from daycare her daily report usually say she is dry most of the day. I am also thinking about putting her in another daycare/school.
srvirgo93

Return to Parents of Preemies