Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Flying-what to pack in carry on

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Flying-what to pack in carry on

Postby bernadic » Wed May 26, 2010 05:14 pm

by bernadic (108 Posts), Wed May 26, 2010 05:14 pm

I also forgot to ask-what do any of you think is a must-have when flying on a 4 hour flight with a lay-over? Thanks.
bernadic

Re : Flying-what to pack in carry on

Postby hols537 » Wed May 26, 2010 06:09 pm

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Wed May 26, 2010 06:09 pm

Boredom is the biggest challenge with a toddler and not understanding the rules for staying seated and buckled (in my experience). For a 3 year old, I would pack: snacks, change of clothes (or diapers/wipes depending on the potty training situation), toys (including a new toy or 2 for novelty), tylenol (I always give proactively in case of ear discomfort), benadryl and/or dramamine (in case of an allergic reaction and/or motion sickness) and any prescriptions the kids take. You might also want to be sure you have a list of medications, doctors and phone numbers and other important information. I put a sticker on my son with his name and my cell phone number just in case he ran off/got lost when I traveled alone with my kids. Plus, I am a little neurotic, so I also always have disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer. I usually fly JetBlue, so I also pack toddler headphones. My son loved to keep his toys, snacks and books in his own backpack.
hols537

Postby trish » Wed May 26, 2010 09:01 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Wed May 26, 2010 09:01 pm

Lollipops - as bribes and for something to suck on take off & landing to help ears pop. My girls love stickers & they're easy to pack & loads of entertainment just sticking stickers on paper (and their arms etc.) Holly covered a lot of our other must haves. On diapers - pack more than you think you'll need in case of delays!!
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu May 27, 2010 01:49 pm

by jenmatt1 (566 Posts), Thu May 27, 2010 01:49 pm

I always bring a small blanket too- so we can color on the floor or play during the layover. I agree with others that I pack some bribe food- candy, snacks and stickers. Keeps her occupied. And I have to say we bring a small DVD player with kid headphones- worth bringing because it keeps my daughter occupied for hours watching Shrek or Toy Story, or another movie. I usually let her buy a small snack at the layover- usually a smoothie or shake from the airport too- she thinks it is an extra special treat and it keeps you occupied during the layover.

I also check out the airport sites before I leave- most airports have family restrooms and many now have kid play areas. So I find out where those are.

And remember to get their a little early. It will take you more time to get through security with kids and gear and you will feel less stressed if you have more time to relax and sprawl out before the flight.
jenmatt1

Postby bernadic » Thu May 27, 2010 06:07 pm

by bernadic (108 Posts), Thu May 27, 2010 06:07 pm

Great ideas. Never would have thought of dramanie or tylenol!! I never thought of the throw-up factor. He has never been on a ride or anything that would cause motion sickness-outside of a merry-go-round. Great idea with the name stickers. You girls are super helpful. Thanks a million!
bernadic

Postby kdreher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 am

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 am

Thanks for posting this as we'll be flying to SC in 3 weeks...our first flight with 30 min layover but we don't deplane. I do have a dvd player that I borrowed.
kdreher

Return to Parents of Preemies