Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : NEC??

Postby julieb » Wed Sep 08, 2010 03:55 pm

I am sorry you are going through this. Our son did not end up having NEC but at one point there was something wrong, his abdomen became much larger and he was in distress and they didn't know why. They immediately thought it was NEC and told us that it may be. After all the testing, they found out he had a blood infection from an IV site that caused his digestive system to shut down and once he had antibiotics for a few days he was much better. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would think if they thought it was NEC, they would have told you. Make sure you ask your doctors and nurses though, never be afraid to ask questions about everything they are doing for your daughter. Remember that you are her mom and you have a right to know what they are doing and why. If you don't understand something, ask questions until you do. The NICU can be scary and confusing but having a good understanding about what is going on can help to make you feel better. I hope your daughter heals quickly!

Postby ch3lsea » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 am

My daughter had a perforation in her intestine a few days one said anything about NEC...I've been looking perforated intestine up online and in everything I read it is a symptom of NEC. Would the doctors have told me she had this?? No one has said anything about it. She had to have a drain put in to empty her abdomen and they said she will be on antibiotics for 7-10 days and that they believe the hole will heal itself and then they will start feedings again. I'm so confused, from what I've been reading online today it sounds like NEC to me, but no one has even mentioned that to me. Any parents who have had preemie's who have had NEC, were you told right away that's what your son/daughter had??

Return to “Parents of Preemies”