Do they really understand? (semi-vent!)

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
emily kates mom

Do they really understand? (semi-vent!)

Postby emily kates mom » Sat Jul 03, 2004 06:10 am

Hello everyone,

Ever since Emily Kate was born (9-23-03, 33 wks, 3.7 lbs), we have been so careful about germs. We do things like wiping down restaurant tables w/ lysol wipes, use a special grocery cart seat cover, staying at a friends home for childcare (w/ 2 other children), etc. We are also careful not to expose her to children that we KNOW are sick. One thing our ped also suggested was to be very careful in the church nursery. So far, I have not felt good enough about the church nursery's cleanliness to leave Emily Kate there.

Lately, I have been catching alot of "comments" about being so cautious. Most of the comments are coming from well-meaning friends. However, they had full-term babies w/ no complications. I know in my heart that they mean well, but it is really beginning to bug me when they question me, or make some kind of comment. I just want to say to them "If you only knew...". There is just no way for them to understand unless they've been there.

I feel like I am doing the right thing, sticking to what I know is right. Has anyone else had this problem? What do you do when this happens to you?

Mommy to Emily Kate
3lbs. 7 oz.
Born 9/23/03
**2 months early due to preeclampsia.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”