Post Reply FAQ Members Login

How to reduce chance

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

How to reduce chance

Postby natan » Sun Jul 11, 2004 09:11 pm

by natan (203 Posts), Sun Jul 11, 2004 09:11 pm

Hi
Not sure if this makes since. I was talking to our OT. She was saying that there has been recent studies, on how to reduce chances of having premature babies.

By avoiding the following items:
Vitamin A
Rosemary(in Shampoos and hand lotions)
Papaya

Does this sound a bit strange? For one thing, Vitamnin A is in almost everything isn't it?

What is your opinion?

Deborah
natan

Re : How to reduce chance

Postby arj » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:12 pm

by arj (1251 Posts), Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:12 pm

Hmmm... Strange. Maybe excessive amounts of vitamin A? To avoid it completely seems equally unhealthy. I have heard that you really shouldn't supplement with extra vitamin A, as it can be toxic in high amounts.

I have definitely heard of certain aromatherapy oils that should be avoided in pregnancy. Rosemary being one of them. I got MANY prenatal massages with my first baby and the massage therapist would always use unscented oil.

Papaya... No idea. What did she say about that? It's a good thing that I don't like it though. I HATE the flavor. To me it tastes like fruit that has already gone bad...[xx(]

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Re : How to reduce chance

Postby laura » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:57 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:57 am

Deborah, too, "prematurity" is a pretty big umbrella covering a multitude of different things... often when people reference ways to prevent "prematurity" they're talking about preterm labor, prom, etc. rather than preeclampsia, so things that might prevent preterm labor or prom may have little benefit for women prone to preeclampsia, ykwim?

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Return to Parents of Preemies