Post Reply FAQ Members Login

My one-pound wonder is 10 years old!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

My one-pound wonder is 10 years old!

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 09:53 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Thu Aug 25, 2011 09:53 am

Hi, Friends! Long time, no see! I have missed my PF friends and have been able to keep up with a lot of you on Facebook. I battled PTSD and PPD during and after my second pregnancy, but it is getting better and I am ready to come back and keep up with all of my friends again!

Well, miss Hannah Rose turned 10 yesterday! She is my first child, who was delivered by emergency c-section due to severe preeclampsia at 26 weeks. She weighed less than a pound in the delivery room, but her official birthweight was 1 pound, 1 ounce. She stayed in the NICU for four months. I am pleased to say that on her 10th birthday yesterday we took her for her yearly check-up and she is perfectly healthy! She is almost as tall as me, and weighs 101 pounds!!!! She is a tall girl and still slim, but I could not believe that she has gained 100 pounds since birth. It is unbelievable!

Another exciting story to share about Miss Hannah is that over the summer she received an award for getting the highest reading scores on the 3rd grade comprehensive exam in the entire state! This is the baby that wasn't expected to survive, and if she did, we were warned that she would have some special needs and may never be able to be in a regular class. Boy, did she prove them wrong. I am so proud of her and thankful for all of my PF friends who helped me through the years with my concerns about Hannah, and who helped me in 2009 with my very difficult second pregnancy. I missed you all and am so glad to be back! By the way, Brandon is just thriving and will be two in November!

Suzanne
Suzanne, Mom to:
Hannah Rose - 26 weeker - 1 pound, 1 ounce and 12 inches long, born 8/24/01. Now the tallest kid in the class!
Brandon James - 35 weeker - 4 pounds, 1 ounce and 16 inches long, born 11/11/09. Very happy baby!

Complications during pregnancies: Severe Preeclampsia, Pulmonary Edema, IUGR, MTHFR, Factor II and Factor V Blood Clotting disorders

Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Re: My one-pound wonder is 10 years old!

Postby tracym » Thu Aug 25, 2011 07:39 pm

by tracym (375 Posts), Thu Aug 25, 2011 07:39 pm

Welcome back :)

Wow, 10...doesn't the time fly! My first PE baby is 10.5 and the second is 6.5, I can't believe how big they are (and how old that makes me feel haha!). She must be tall...my 10yo is 66lbs, that being said my 6yo is 52lbs and she was the real preemie :)

Congrats to Hannah on double numbers, 10 is a special birthday. And well done on the reading scores, what an achievement!
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)
tracym

Return to Parents of Preemies