FARSIGHTED AT EYE APPOINTMENT

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

FARSIGHTED AT EYE APPOINTMENT

Postby marybees » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:20 pm

MY SON HUNTER FORMER 30 WEEKER NOW 6 1/2 MONTHS CORRECTED WENT IN FOR HIS FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENT WITH THE EYE DOCTOR TO CHECK THE MATURE EYE VESSELS FOR ANY ROP SIGNS.WELL NO ROP SIGNS BUT THE DOCTOR SAID HE WAS TWICE AS FAR SIGHTED AS BABIES THIS AGE.THAT WE WOULD WATCH HIM OVER THE NEXT 6 MONTHS IF IT DOESN'T IMPROVE HE WILL NEED GLASSES FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.THE DOCTOR WENT ON TO SAY THAT 35-45% OF PREEMIES HAVE EYE PROBLEMS REQUIRING SOME INTERVENTION.I THOUGHT ROP WAS ALL I NEEDED TO WORRY ABOUT.DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ABY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PROBLEM.ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED .
THANKS,
MARY
marybees

Re : FARSIGHTED AT EYE APPOINTMENT

Postby deerhart » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:33 pm

Hmm don't have any experience on children that young, but eye problems are extremely common in all ages, though more so as you get older. It also is heridtary. Farsightedness simply means he has problems seeing things very close to him but is usually okay seeing things far away. It also means the light coming in his eyes falls short of hitting the retina (eyes too long).

Nearsightedness (which is what I have) means you can't see far away and your eye is too short cuasing the light to hit beyond the retina (if it could).

As his head continues to grow over the next few years, this could cause his eyes to change size and shape and could possibly correct any problems.

As for the % on preemies, since probably aobut 35-50% of the population probably wears some sort of corrective eyewear, you may want to check what that stat actual means. Is it 35-40% of preemeis need intervention within x amount of time or over thier entire life.

As for wearing glasses the rest of you life, well for alot of us that is simply a way of life. I started wearing glasses in 5th grade, my mother was 4 years old when she got hers. I moved to contacts at age 15 and my perscription hasn't changed since.

HTH
Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby maxs mom » Fri Jul 30, 2004 04:26 pm

Mary,
My son Max just missed having to have ROP surgery. We were extremly lucky for how small he was and early. He was followed by the eye doctor who tracked ROP until he was 10 months old! At 11 months he saw the pediatric opthomalogist, she said he was slightly nearsighted and had an astigmatism. 6 months later his near sightedness has gotten a little worse but she said for now the astigmatism was cancelling the nearsightedness out. At this time no glasses are needed, and She told me that there is no way of knowing if this was caused by him being premature or if it was hereditary. I have excellent vision, but my DH is slightly near sighted. You know, considering all he went through, I am just glad he never had to have the ROP surgery, if he has to have glasses later, so be it. I see so many preemies that have eye damage or go blind or have to wear coke bottle thick glasses that I count our lucky stars!
Kara

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Postby susan belisle » Fri Jul 30, 2004 06:35 pm

Hello-

My daughter was born 30 weeks 2 days. She had to see a baby eye dr. soon after she was released from the NICU. They new she had eye trouble from the get go. At 6 months we knew she had sanificant astigmatiums and she was near sighted. Today she is 2 years 3 months and wears glasses. She has had them for a month now. I cried when I picked them out and cried when she put them on for the first time. But she has her daddy's eyes and needs them to see. I was told that the shape of her eyes is what makes for the problem. Her eyes are shaped like a football vs a circle so as she grows the shape of her head changes witch in turn will change her vision. And no laser sergury is not an option but contacts may be. My point of view is if glasses is the worst thing that comes out of being a premie all take it. She doged a million bullets and for that I am truly greatful. I know that this is not exactly what you were asking but hope that it was some what helpful info for you.

Susan
Interuption 06/23/01 @20 wks
Carly 04/24/02 30 wks 3lbs 6 oz
ttc again with pg induced hypertention
susan belisle

Postby sarab » Fri Jul 30, 2004 08:55 pm

Hi Mary,

Maggie's ROP has been followed very closely by a pediatric opthamologist. She had her last follow-up in June, and thank goodness, everything has cleared up on it's own, much as predicted. Like Hunter, though, she is far-sighted. Our doctor is not too worried about it at this point, and we are following up in December to see if it improves itself as she grows (like Erin said).

Both DH and I have HORRIBLE vision (sadly, we are both legally blind [:0], and both near-sighted), so, like Kara mentioned, it's impossible to know if it's the prematurity or genetics, or a little of both. No matter what, she will have to have glasses at some point down the road, but thank goodness it's a result of two blind nerds breeding, and not another side effect of her prematurity. [8D]

Sara, 24
Local Coordinator, Utah
Moderator, "After Your Baby is Born"

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
Surprise, surprise! #2 EDD March 10, 2005

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Return to Parents of Preemies