Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Nipples/bottles for preemies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Nipples/bottles for preemies

Postby amandab » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:55 am

by amandab (166 Posts), Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:55 am

Well, we tried the Avent bottle. Unfortunately, Maija liked it even less than the Playtex. She seemed to have a really hard time getting the milk out, and she got so frustrated and tired. So we are sticking with Dr. Brown. I guess maybe my nipples are more similar to the Dr. Brown nipple. LOL!!!

Kim, the woman that gave us the Dr. Brown bottles apparently threw away the cap off thing!! But she swears she never had one leak unless it turned over. So far we haven't had any leak. Thanks for the dishwasher tip!!

Amanda (28)
Hubby (29)
Maija Grace - 5/18/04 (36.5 wks), HELLP
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03 (29 wks), pre-e and abruption
amandab

Postby deerhart » Mon Jul 26, 2004 01:49 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Mon Jul 26, 2004 01:49 pm

Hmm Amanda do you know what flow size your using on the nipples? It could be she needs a faster flow then what the nipple is providing. We kept the boys always on the fastest flow (and usually had to open those up even more) simply because when they nursed my flow was VERY fast so they were used to it.

Another thing is to check that nothing gets stuck in the opening in the nipple.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby kim » Mon Jul 26, 2004 05:42 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Mon Jul 26, 2004 05:42 pm

Good luck with the Dr. Brown's. We eventually got used to it. Ainsley mouth just couldn't latch on to the Avent bottles, and I had already spent a fortune on those, as I planned to pump with their system.

I have noticed that Walmart and Target now carry Dr. Browns. Last year, only Babies R Us had them, so they were even more!!

Take care!

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies