Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Update on Wyatt

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Update on Wyatt

Postby deerhart » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:19 pm

Alex didn't want to give up his bottle at all. it was his security blanket in a way. His ped also recommended not pushing the issue (also because he was dirnking from a cup, just wanted the bottle at bedtime and when he was sick). He actually didn't give it up completely until he was 2 1/2 and Mason was born. I think the correlation between baby and bottle finally sunk in a bit and he just stopped asking for it one day after returning from a visit to my parents house.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby raindrop » Wed Aug 11, 2004 03:47 am

That is cool.. Maybe Wyatt will do that.....lol... (well I can hope)

He will dink from a cup but rarely and his ped.. (last appt was a young new guy) wants me to have him off bottle by 15mo appt... I dont see it.. And the ped didnt even see a problem with him NOT wanting a cup. Just wants him off bottle..

I am starting to look for some of the other peds here in town as these are begginning to really hit a nerve.

But I know Wyatt wont go to school with a bottle so I am not worried.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby deerhart » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:16 am

Yeah, it was sort of nice that my ped didn't push the issue. He was actually telling us if all we had to worry about was him drinking from a bottle we were doing pretty good =) he also mentioned it was easier to break a bottle habit then a pacifier or thumb sucking habit and it may be possible Alex would switch to one of those if we pulled it off (thinking he may have an oral need to suck/chew on something to calm himself)

And like everyone told us, no one graduated from high school still in diapers and sucking on a bottle.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby raindrop » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:18 am

Erin

I definately know in the very near future I will be changin peds. Where EI had to get a script from the DR to do the eval they first contacted my ped.. (what a joke[}:)]). The ped called me this morning, a nurse for the dr that saw Wyatt at his 12mo check-up, and wanted to know what was wrong and why he needed this eval even though EI had talked to them yesterday several times. (EI talked with his GI dr and got the script no problem btw[:)])

I was blown away that the dr never made a note or anything that I had told him about Wyatt not drinking out of a cup due to gagging and such. The nurse made the remark that the dr had made notes that everythign was normal. I proceded to tell her that the lady that done the preliminary eval here at the house even said she thought he was at least delayed to his corrected age. Some drs amaze me that they just dont listen to what you say.

Sorry so long just had to vent some about his dr.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33

raindrop

Postby jenn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:28 am

I'm such a bad example of bottle giving-up.
Jai is 3 1/2 yrs and still has an arsonal of them (for her formula only)
Otherwise she's doing well with her sippy cups.
That reminds me...have you tried diff. brands of bottles and or sippy cups?
Just in our case - Jai had bad reflux, we changed to playtex dispos. bottles and had been doing great since.
And her sippy cup refusal was cured by trying out some other kinds of cups/lids. We landed on Munchkin's.
Just one mom's thought - just incase it helps.
Lots of love.

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!
Natalia's web page
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby raindrop » Wed Aug 11, 2004 02:08 pm

Jennie

Oh he will drink out of a cup he just gets choked/gags when drinking from one. I have several kinds too. I think I have Playtex and Gerber and one other that is his sis's (it has a straw).

For the bottles, we have had 3-4 kinds of nipples on them and every now and then he will still choke/gag on them. The odd thing to me is, that he has just recently started doing this.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33

raindrop

Postby season » Thu Aug 12, 2004 02:03 pm

I'm so sorry that youa re sruggling with this. i do have a thought about the cup. have you tried using a cup that does nto require sucking? This might allow him to regulate how quickly th eliquid gets to the back of his throat. It may even require the effort of teaching him to use cups with out lids. When I first introduced a cup tp ds I used small clawer plastc, disposable cups (You know from the picnic supply aisle.) That way I could see thourgh them and help him learn to use it. Of course, you may have already tried open cups, just thought I'd suggest it.

Also, about the spoon feeding thing. I think that's a normal developemental step. My ds refused spoon feeding at just past a year. He wanted only to eat foods that he could eat by himself. (he couldn't talk much, but still made this clear by his actions.) So the spoon and pureed food went away. He began to use a spoon again when he could cotnrol it (for yogurt, applesauce etc.) In the mean time he ate small soft or crunchy chunks of food that he could pick up himself. The refusal to let you feed him could be a step in his desire for independance - and thus normal.

I hope you are bale to figure out the cup/gagging thing soon. Also, lots of kids use bottles past 15 months, I don't know why the ped wants it gone. Do what you think is best for your son.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
dd Naomi 6/25/04 (38 1/2 wks PIH)
season
Forum Moderator

Postby momathelete » Thu Aug 12, 2004 09:16 pm

This is probably unrelated but a friend of mine has a son who just had his adenoids removed. They were oddly large and he always had gagging issues. Different textures and things like that. He is going into the 4th grade and has had too many gagging episodes to count. When they removed his adenoids, the doc was like -no wonder he was a gagger!! I guess they were so huge. He is recovereing this week so I don't know if it helped or not. Just adding my 2 cents. Gosh, all of this talk of bottles..my daughter is almost 13 months and she loves her bottle so much that I haven't even thought to restrict it. Honeslty, she drinks about 4 bottles a day, STILL. She just loves her milk. THe whole thing -rolling her eyes, sighing. Oh, she is in baby heaven. How can I take that away? I don't think that it will effect her SAT scores! LOL!!! Can you tell she is my last? I'm just going to let her be happy and hang onto it for awhile.....

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 17 wks bedrest, 37 wkr) 1 yr old
momathelete

Postby denise » Fri Aug 13, 2004 05:30 am

I hope this gagging gets resolved soon Donna, or at least you find a reason behind it. Good luck with EI!!

After reading everyone's responses I don't feel so bad about Ariana being on one bottle a day yet. Our ped suggested at her 15mo checkup that we try to get her completely over to a cup, but she refuses to drink her formula/milk mix out of a cup. She only gets a bottle at night, so I'm not to worried about it, but it's a nice reminder that she won't be graduating school with it.[;)] Thanks![:D]

-------
Denise (28)
Jason (31)
Ariana (15 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP
TTC #2 starting in October!
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies