samaras update and DANGEROUS MEDS PLEASE READ!!!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

samaras update and DANGEROUS MEDS PLEASE READ!!!

Postby samarasmom » Mon Aug 09, 2004 03:02 pm

Samara went in this morning for a checkup. He told me that she had 4 things going on with her. 2 were colic. the gassy kind and the temperment kind. I was told to give her gas drops, swaddle and make her feel like she in the womb for comfort. ALso he said that she has some formula issues that she may still be overcoming. And last she has reflux and is on Zantac and Reglan. SHE is up to 7 pds and 4 ozs, go little girl !!!

Anyways she was on the Levsin for her stomach and my doc was not happy. I am not sure the exact #s or how to find out but feel I need to make you ladies aware. He said that with this medicine there is a highly increased risk in SIDS. I refuse to give this to her and he said that there are other meds that are safer than that. PLEASE PLEASE if your child is on or ever has to be on it PLEase ask for another alternative for your child that is safer. I am mad that the hospital never told me this [:(!]and she was having breathing problems after on this medicine. Please pass this along also if you can, this drug scares me. Thanks for listening

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Re : samaras update and DANGEROUS MEDS PLEASE READ!!!

Postby jenn » Mon Aug 09, 2004 03:59 pm

Sandra,
Your update was of great relief, I was very worried about Samara.
Reflux huh?!, bummer. But the Zantac/Reglan combo worked wonders for us at that age. I hope this is a temp. thing for you guys.
Colic, oh the joys of colic. I bow down to the gas drop inventer gods.
But yes, even those can fail at times.

Any mom could share in your anger for a med. that could endanger their lil' one. I'm sorry that happened. I know what that's like, J was given adult doses of these ear drops and had an allergic reaction that landed us in the ER and allergists offices. What a headache all due to human error. We are both lucky duckies for only having a bad memory as a result.

thanks for letting us know you both are okay and recieving great care with your doc.
Give that lil' chubby bubby Samara a "Moochie" (as J calls kisses)
7 lbs! that's wonderful!
Lots of love!

P.s- ever get back rub? [;)]
Still waiting on mine...

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!
Natalia's web page
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn
Forum Moderator

Re : samaras update and DANGEROUS MEDS PLEASE READ!!!

Postby samarasmom » Mon Aug 09, 2004 05:58 pm

Jennie,
that is awful Jaidyn had to go thru that. I am sorry and glad that we are both lucky. Also never got that back rub, fiance too busy of course and by the time he was freed and kids were asleep so was I. LOL. Hope you get yours soon, sure you need one as bad as I do. I am so happy that she is gaining her weight! Will give her a kiss. She might get mad though as she is probably tired of me kissing on her all the time.LOL but I cant help it. Take care and talk to you later

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Return to Parents of Preemies