LOUD Breathing

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

LOUD Breathing

Postby samarasmom » Wed Aug 11, 2004 09:35 am

Hello I dont want to sound like a worrywart but I cant help it. I have waited for my daughter for so long.
Anyways I was wondering if this is normal. When she sleeps and sometimes when she is eating she lets off this high pitch like squeal. It is weird. Sometimes it sounds like she is having a hard time catching her breath but other than the sound she shows no other signs of distress. Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this with their kids. Thanks for any input

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Re : LOUD Breathing

Postby deerhart » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:20 am

hmm a squeal? LOL oh man I bet you can't wait to tell her boyfriends how cute she was as a baby and she would make this cute little squeal..

I know both my kids were loud sleepers and it sounds like they are working very hard (which they are) and the ped told us it was perfectly normal (something about how certain parts of the body are big enough yet thus they breath differently until they are) and it disappeared somewhere between 6-12 months.

The squeal could be from a number of things, it could just be a sound generated by her breathing, it could be a specific sound she is making in her sleep (babies cna and do babble and make noises sometimes when they sleep), or it could be something else. It never hurts to mention it to her doc.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby samarasmom » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:37 am

Thanks erin Yes she does smile and babble in her sleep also. For her being a preemie I was thinking wow is she ahead of herself since the book says they dont make babble noises for awhile. Also little fast girl is rolling over alot so we have to watch her since she can go from straight on her back to her tummy. Thanks for the reassurance though and I think I will bring it up to be on the safe side at her next appt. at the end of next wk.

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Postby jenn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 am

Sandra,
My niece had some issues with that.
In her case they called the dr. ( which I recommed first and for most ) and it was sleep apnea.
Sounds like a dumb question, but Does she have an "Ahkey" nose? She could be stuffed up way up there and can't blow it out... obviously. :o)
Or maybe she's just a diff. kind of baby who's advanced on her noise making ;o)
Lemme' know what you are able to find out.
Lots of love!

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!
Natalia's web page
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:58 am

Sandra, I'd want to get this one checked out with the pedi- my first DD was born near term (35 weeks) but still was readmitted for some prematurity breathing issues, especially in her sleep. It might help if you can videotape the breathing squeal that you're talking about to show the doctor- that way you *know* they have a very clear understanding of what you're talking about. Hang in there!

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby nhgirl » Fri Aug 20, 2004 08:25 pm

Sandra,

We just found out tonight that my baby has a sleep disorder that is completely harmless, and common in preemies. Her issue was twitching, but she has done a squeal that sounds like what you're describing. I'll let you know if I see anything related to that. Don't ever apologize for being concerned! I think we've all earned that right!!! Good luck & keep us posted.

:) Amanda
with DH Greg & baby girl Kate (born 7-23-04, 3 weeks early due to Pre-e)
Kate's page: http://pages.ivillage.com/nhgirl27/index.html
nhgirl

Return to Parents of Preemies