My preemie twitches--very nervous

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

My preemie twitches--very nervous

Postby nhgirl » Thu Aug 12, 2004 03:47 pm

Hi All,

I was induced at 37 weeks and had a low birth weight baby for that stage (she was 5 lbs 3 oz). Due to the pre-e/pih my OB said she needed to be born b/c the placenta wasn't nourishing her well enough. I've noticed since she's been in the hospital that she twitches in a way that doesn't seem right to me. Both her legs and/or arms will bounce up at once, oftentimes several times in a row. I asked the pedi and nurses about it and they said it was just an immature nervous system/startle response, but she didn't do it in front of them any of the times, so I don't know if I can take their word for it. It's not like there is a noise or something that causes her to do this. I am worried that maybe she wasn't getting enough Oxygen in me and it's something bad. This is my first baby so I wouldn't know if this is normal. She seems very alert and has good reflexes, rooting reflex, holds her head pretty well, etc. Anyone else ever seen this?

Any advice/info appreciated!

Thank you,
Amanda
nhgirl

Re : My preemie twitches--very nervous

Postby jenn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 04:36 pm

Hi Amanda,
congrats on the peanut!!!
Though sorry to hear of her troubles.

At first I was also going to say it sounds like she is startling as well, but without seeing it's hard to say what's going on, and your right to using your instincts that something going on.
Let's just hope for this lil' one that it isn't serious.
I'm gald you brought it up with the nurses/ dr.
They're response shouldn't leave you unhappy though...Try again to bring it up and be a bit more forcful, if you need to - ask if you can get an second opinion. Let them know it's left you still questioning what's going on...It will never hurt.
Your a great mom to be so observant and bring up any and all concerns.
Please give an update when you can.
I'll be thinking of you guys.

P.s- Welcome!

Lots of love.

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!
Natalia's web page
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby samarasmom » Thu Aug 12, 2004 05:35 pm

Does she makes noises in her sleep at all. I know Samara did this at first and I freaked out about it but I was told the same thing about her having an immature nervous system ( she was 5 wks early) she still does this and makes alot of noises in her sleep and even open her eyes and look around and then having them roll in the back of her head before she closes them. Her peds keeps reassuring me this is normal for her.
BUT you should always follow your instincts and ask your doc.Every child is different but wanted u to know that this may be a normal thing for her but since I cant exactly see and compare please bring it up to her doc. How old is she now.
WIll be praying that all is well with that little one. Take care

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Postby denise » Thu Aug 12, 2004 05:58 pm

My DD used to do that as well right after she was born and they had me grab her leg to see if she'd stop once I had a hold of her (she did). They said it was an immature nervous system too. She outgrew it in a matter of weeks. Good luck!!

Welcome and congrats on the birth of your daughter!![:D]

-------
Denise (28)
Jason (31)
Ariana (15 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP
TTC #2 starting in October!
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby raindrop » Thu Aug 12, 2004 06:13 pm

My DS did this as well for several weeks and I was told the same thing as well about the immature nervous system..

Congrats on your little one.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby nhgirl » Thu Aug 12, 2004 07:01 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your warm welcome & input! It makes me feel better to hear that others saw twitching, too, but I'll definitely ask again. I think I'm going to try and catch a little video of it on my digital camera and bring it to her next appointment (she was Coombs positive, so she has to be checked often for her jaundice).

Katharine was born on 7-23-04 so is now almost 3 weeks old. If you check out her webpage I have her birth story on it. I still need to find time to write the postpartum bit. I actually got much sicker 2 days after she was born (hyper reflexes, worse edema, bad headache, high bp, blurred vision, confusion, etc) and ended up on mag sulfate and there for an extra 4 days...fun stuff!

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome! I'm glad I found this place! :)

:) Amanda
with DH Greg & baby girl Kate (born 7-23-04, 3 weeks early due to Pre-e)
Kate's page: http://pages.ivillage.com/nhgirl27/index.html
nhgirl

Postby jenn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 07:23 pm

Let us know if you can catch that on video and report any...well reports ;op
I love love love your website!
*Green with envy* :o)
Best wishes!

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!
Natalia's web page
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby samarasmom » Fri Aug 13, 2004 09:48 am

Yup Samara is 2 days older than Katherine and she still twitches. Let me know what you find out from your doc. Hope all is okay.

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Postby deerhart » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:03 am

Hehe, my husband and both my boys do something like this, but it occurs as they are falling asleep. Parts of their bodies (espeically arms, shoulders, and legs) will suddenly jerk, sometimes several times in a row.

My husband gave me a good bumb on the head one night when I was laying near his shoulder and one happened and he hit me in the head with his elbow.

No clue what cuases it, but he is going to be 29, Alex is 4 and mason is almost 2 and all three of them still do it (boys have done it from birth).

My Alex was also a 37 weeker and just a tad bigger then your daughter at 5lbs 10 oz.

Welcome to the boards!

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby pugmommy7 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 07:22 pm

both of my girls did it.
it used to scare the heck outta my mom, but my ped, anf the nicu ped assured me it was ok...as explained above...
and it stopped w/ in a few weeks.
hth,

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies