My preemie twitches--very nervous

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
nhgirl

My preemie twitches--very nervous

Postby nhgirl » Thu Aug 12, 2004 03:47 pm

Hi All,

I was induced at 37 weeks and had a low birth weight baby for that stage (she was 5 lbs 3 oz). Due to the pre-e/pih my OB said she needed to be born b/c the placenta wasn't nourishing her well enough. I've noticed since she's been in the hospital that she twitches in a way that doesn't seem right to me. Both her legs and/or arms will bounce up at once, oftentimes several times in a row. I asked the pedi and nurses about it and they said it was just an immature nervous system/startle response, but she didn't do it in front of them any of the times, so I don't know if I can take their word for it. It's not like there is a noise or something that causes her to do this. I am worried that maybe she wasn't getting enough Oxygen in me and it's something bad. This is my first baby so I wouldn't know if this is normal. She seems very alert and has good reflexes, rooting reflex, holds her head pretty well, etc. Anyone else ever seen this?

Any advice/info appreciated!

Thank you,
Amanda

Return to “Parents of Preemies”