My preemie twitches--very nervous

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

My preemie twitches--very nervous

Postby nhgirl » Thu Aug 12, 2004 03:47 pm

Hi All,

I was induced at 37 weeks and had a low birth weight baby for that stage (she was 5 lbs 3 oz). Due to the pre-e/pih my OB said she needed to be born b/c the placenta wasn't nourishing her well enough. I've noticed since she's been in the hospital that she twitches in a way that doesn't seem right to me. Both her legs and/or arms will bounce up at once, oftentimes several times in a row. I asked the pedi and nurses about it and they said it was just an immature nervous system/startle response, but she didn't do it in front of them any of the times, so I don't know if I can take their word for it. It's not like there is a noise or something that causes her to do this. I am worried that maybe she wasn't getting enough Oxygen in me and it's something bad. This is my first baby so I wouldn't know if this is normal. She seems very alert and has good reflexes, rooting reflex, holds her head pretty well, etc. Anyone else ever seen this?

Any advice/info appreciated!

Thank you,

Return to “Parents of Preemies”