GROWING!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

GROWING!

Postby celticepona » Sun Aug 15, 2004 07:51 pm

Although Emmy was considered "full term" at 37 weeks, she was still so small to me and my family at 5lb 15 oz....but now I look at her pictures from when she was days old and now...and Whoof! what a difference! In her early shots, she looks so "preemie" and small...and now she's a chunk of 16 pounds!!!! Do any of you look back in amazement in how your munchkin has grown?

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Re : GROWING!

Postby raindrop » Sun Aug 15, 2004 09:07 pm

I know I do... Wyatt was the smallest and then Whitney and they both seem so big to me now. Wyatt weighs about 20lbs maybe a bit more now and Whitney is 40lbs. But when compared to other kids their age, mine still look tiny....lol.. But to me they have grown so much in so little time. Seems like only yesterday I could hold both of them in the palms of my hands. Now it is all I can do to hodl them, they wiggle too much...lol

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby deerhart » Sun Aug 15, 2004 09:51 pm

LOL DEFINTELY!!!!!!!
People had bought some smaller clothes when they heard Alex was 5lbs 10 oz and some of them he never got to wear becuase he grew so fast. It is still VERY hard to beleive that the children in the 3+ month old pictures are the same children in the newborn pictures. They are so tiny and so small and then suddenly so huge!

What's even worse is to take out some of those clothes they wore the first week or so and hold it up to them now... unbeleivable.
Both my boys doubled their birth weight in the first 6 weeks and were 15+ lbs at 3 months. Both were about 28-30lbs and 28-31 inches tall at 1 year, people find it hard to beleive that there were any problems and that Mason is a preemie and Alex really should have been.

Now Alex is about 80% in hieght/weight for his age and Mason who is 2 1/2 years younger then him is about 5 inches shorter and 8 lbs lighter (Mason is going to be one big boy, he is already at ALEX'S 2 1/2 TO 3 Year old stats and he's not even 2 yet)

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby samarasmom » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:12 pm

yup sure do. Even now I never realized how huge my 2 year old was until I saw him next to Samara and remembered that he too was once that small. How the time flies. I have very few pics of him being small and I hate that fact. I will try to have more of her and start a better collection of him.

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Postby jenn » Mon Aug 16, 2004 05:21 am

It has been a struggle to get to this point, but heck yea'!
From 2.12 pounds to a whopping 29.6 pounds today- I'm amazed everyday.
She's a lil' petite @ 36 in., but who's complaining? I'm only 5' 3".

It's funny I when I think that she's grown up right in my arms, I still hold her every chance I get.

Jennie (25)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!
Natalia's web page
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby maxs mom » Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:54 am

Max was 1 lb 3ozs when born, now he is almost 19 months and 17.5 lbs. There has been so much concern about him being small that I am bummed I just don't get a chance to sit back and say "wow, he has increased his weight by 16 times his birth weight" That in itself is a miracle. I look at pictures and can't believe how tiny he was. And then I get hand me downs from a friend, and I look at the size 2T and think, "Wow, when will he ever fit into this??" But I have to admit, he is so cute because he is so tiny, but is so capable of doing all the things he should at his age, he is so strong.

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 1lb. 3ozs. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/

#2 is on the way, EDD 4/18/05 (seems so far away!)
maxs mom

Postby aimeejane » Mon Aug 16, 2004 03:15 pm

Oh my goodness yes! I do with both my boys, but especially Nicky. From 1 lbs. 10 oz. to an active, normal four-year-old. (Yeah, still a little small, but no one can tell.) I have a VERY difficult time connecting them as the same person. Dh and I were looking at pictures just a couple of weeks ago...it's nice to see dh welling up, too. The preemie doll I had made is one of the best things for this...I get him out every few months and "kangaroo" him for just a minute. I don't want to forget completely...

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Return to Parents of Preemies