Re: powder formulas

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re: powder formulas

Postby naynays » Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:20 am

Hi,

I read on a website that you can give your preemie more calories by mixing the powder formula different. My Twins are 13 days old and on Prosobee. I have checkup on Wednesday and will ask the doctor then, but had anyone done this?

Renae
naynays

Re : Re: powder formulas

Postby deerhart » Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:33 am

Hi
Really not all preemies need extra calaories. The ones that typically do need it becuase they are failing to thrive (aka not gaining weight or way underweight). As long as your preemies are gaining weight they may not need to have any extra calories.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby laura » Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:44 am

Hi Renae, I do have to say that I don't have any experience mixing the formula to different concentration for preemies- but I have heard that mixing the formula in any different way than the instructions indicate can be really dangerous for the babies, so this is a question I'd definitely want to pose to a pediatrician before doing anything. Good luck with you and your babies!!

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby meg » Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:58 am

I dont really know, I breastfed all of my babies. But my sister's little micro premie gets a mix of breastmilk and formula ( she cant pump enough to keep up) His ped has him on a special high calorie formula called NeoSUre. Its very expensive and I wouldnt give it without the Ped saying to. My nephew was only 1 lb 8 ounces and now at 5 months is still only 8 pounds. He is growing very slowly, thats why he is on it.

Will 2-6-00 (PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 (NO PE or PIH)
#3 EDD 10-25-04 Its a girl! So far so good!
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 26/27 weeks (March 8th) weighing 1 lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now 5 months and almost 8 pounds!
meg

Postby frasiah » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:59 am

Renae, yes you can mix your formula differently (and it is a special preemie formula), but like Laura said, you should only do that under the supervision of your baby's ped. We did it for my daughter cause she was so little but the dr told us what to do every time. Please, this is a question you shoud put to your dr.

Frasiah
DD sev PE
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby raindrop » Mon Aug 16, 2004 07:30 pm

I agree with the others, you can mix it diff to make more calories, I had to do this with Wyatt till they switched his formula. But again it was only by dr orders. Wyatt wasnt gaining weight the way the drs wanted is why they had him on higher cal.

Good luck

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby 5miraclez » Tue Aug 17, 2004 07:16 pm

This is what we're doing now but only because my preemie has failure to thrive. She isn't gaining the 1oz a day she is supposed to. They make preemie formula that has higher calories but it's pretty expensive so they sent me home with regular formula and instructions to mix it to a higher calorie. I haven't had to use only formula as I'm able to pump enough so I also have a recipe to add the formula to breastmilk to make it higher calorie.

I didn't need to do this with any of my other kids and it's only something you should do on the advice of a Dr. If you need to do it they can give you the recipe of how much to mix.

DD 4/1/00 35wks severe preeclampsia
DS 7/9/01 29wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, placental abruption
DD 12/8/02 31wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, polyhydramnios
DD 6/7/04 32wks severe preeclampsia
5miraclez

Return to Parents of Preemies