Formula switch

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Formula switch

Postby samarasmom » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:02 am

Samara was on several diff formulas when she was born and they finally agreed to Pregestimil since she wasnt gaining any weight. She is now 7 8 at almost 4 wks old and since she is colicky her peds decided to put her on Nutramigen which he felt was the same as PRegestimil but the Nutramigen would provide better for her colic.

The only problem is she now has several liquid stools that fill her diaper completely and I sometimes have to change her 2-3 times in a row since there is so much.[xx(] I am worried that this change will affect her weight again. My 2 boys were on the Nutramigen and had no problems with stools like this.
HAs anyone ahd this happen with the Nutramigen. Is it normal or did it affect your child. I am trying to determine what I should do for her.

Again she is a load of fun[:D][;)]

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Re : Formula switch

Postby laura » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:30 am

We had a similar problem when we changed formulas- and our pediatrician said give it two weeks (two weeks [:o]?!?) to give her a chance to get used to it. What you might also want to try- is start making bottles with 3/4 of her old formula and 1/4 of her new formula, and see how that goes, and then gradually increase the amount of new formula until the switch is complete. She may tolerate it better. Hang in there!

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby samarasmom » Mon Aug 16, 2004 01:59 pm

DUH Where is my brain at. It has been too long since I had a baby. I should have known to mix the formula to get her system used to it. Thanks Laura you are a life saver. I will let you know how it works out.

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Postby sandy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 05:50 pm

Hi Sandra,
Yes, when we started on Nutramigen, our DD did have the "runs" for a day or two, and then things leveled out.

We used that formula for the greater part of 12 months and other than the start, it worked wonders. The cost is outrageous, but whatever is in it really helped with lots of things.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

CAUGHT THE EGG!! Estimated hatch date: 3/13/05; scheduled C at 39 weeks...or earlier if needed.
sandy

Postby raindrop » Mon Aug 16, 2004 07:26 pm

Sandra... I so hope the switch of the formula goes a little more smoothly soon, Wyatt was like that too every time we had to change his formula.

Sandy.. you were talking about the cost of formula.. The stuff they have Wyatt on right now (Peptamin Jr) is a ready to feed drink for over 1yr with GI problems. It has to be order and it is $7.20 per 8oz can..(he gets 107 cans per mo) I was in shock when I first saw the price.. And I thank God for WIC otherwise he would not even remotely be able to get this milk.

Good Luck with Samara, hope she gets to feeling well soon!!

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Return to Parents of Preemies