I just need to cry

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

I just need to cry

Postby 5miraclez » Tue Aug 17, 2004 07:10 pm

I know it's not the official word b ut I went to a WIC appt today (our first) and they weighed Anastacia. THey let me leave her clothes on her since she was asleep and you can imagine my shock when they said she was only 6lb 6oz (was 6lb 10oz at Dr's the week before) and that was with her heavy clothes on. I almost broke down and started crying right there. With the pumping, fortifying and around the clock feedings I was sure she was gaining just fine. You're not supposed to have set backs like this AFTER they come home. I'm just getting so frustrated. I don't know what else to do and I'm afraid there could be something else wrong that is causing her to not gain. If she hasn't gained weight by her appointment Thursday, there is no possible way she'll come of the Oxygen and I'm sure we'll have to do more labs. I just need a good cry right about now.

DD 4/1/00 35wks severe preeclampsia
DS 7/9/01 29wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, placental abruption
DD 12/8/02 31wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, polyhydramnios
DD 6/7/04 32wks severe preeclampsia
5miraclez

Re : I just need to cry

Postby raindrop » Tue Aug 17, 2004 07:23 pm

Dont get too discouraged just yet... when they weigh my DS at WIC and his ped and his GI dr they all have way diff weights.. he will weigh about 1/2 lb more at the GI dr and much less at the WIC... remember that all the scales arent calibrated the same...

with that said... hopefully that is all that it is, that the scales weigh diff. I never rely on the WIC weights since they are so diff for my DS

Good Luck at her Thurs appt.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby samarasmom » Tue Aug 17, 2004 07:25 pm

HOney I am so sorry. BUt i believe that your Anastacia is a fighter. Also I know I had freaked out one time about this and was informed that alot of times scales in different places can be different since they are calibrated differently. For Samara they always weigh her on the same scale at the docs office to get an accurate reading. I hope that this is all that it is. And it is ok to cry. Let it out and let us know what happens Thursday. I will be praying for you and her.

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04
samarasmom

Postby angelkat » Tue Aug 17, 2004 07:41 pm

Don't throw in the towel... Different scales, different days... It is normal for a baby to gain and lose on a daily basis. One day a gain and maybe the next a loss. Sending prayers that it was just a different scale issue.

Please let us know what happens on Thursday...

Sending you a HUGE CHOC BAR for engery and as a treat for being a wonderful Mom. Pumping is so hard and I just wanted to give you a cyber hug for doing all you can. Praying you can get some sleep!!!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby jenn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 09:52 pm

I'm lovin' T's take on this.
Scales vary.
Don't get down, today is over and tomorrow is a new day.
Stay on top of it and stay positive.
Jai has issues with gaining and I couldn't tell you how it bugs me. But a day without losing any weight is a good day. Even then, I get up and try again the next day.
It will be okay.
Lots and lots of love!!!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby 5miraclez » Thu Aug 19, 2004 05:59 pm

Well, she didn't gain. I took her in today and she was the same as at WIC, 6lb 6oz which means she lost weight. The Dr. was pretty concerned. I am now pumping and fortifying every feeding, she stays on the O2 and they drew 5 vials of blood (ugh!). My poor baby. I go back again in a week. If she still isn't gaining then, I'm going to ask about renting a baby scale. It's just so frustrating. I feel like I'm broken since I can't nurse and have her gain weight :(

DD 4/1/00 35wks severe preeclampsia
DS 7/9/01 29wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, placental abruption
DD 12/8/02 31wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, polyhydramnios
DD 6/7/04 32wks severe preeclampsia
5miraclez

Postby samarasmom » Thu Aug 19, 2004 06:12 pm

HOney I am so sorry, things will get better soon. YOu will be in my prayers that she will gain soon.
I know the disappointment of not being able to breastfeed. Iwas forced to stop with Isaiah and was not able to start with Samara.
With Isaiah I would cry all the time since I felt that I was robbed of that. It will get better and its not you that is the reason this is happening. sometimes babies need more help than our bodies can give them in the womb and breastfeeding wise.
Take care and keep me posted on her progress. Give her lots of love and kisses

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby jenn » Thu Aug 19, 2004 06:47 pm

Aww. poor baby!
I'm sorry for what's happening.
But don't blame yourself in anyway, shape or form.
YOUR NOT BROKEN!
I do remember putting a lot of blame on myself for what was happening with Jai.
I know better now.
Give your next week all you got (again) and think positive thoughts. See if you can sneek in some extra feedings in her and stay relaxed ( she can sense your emotions better than you think )
Your going to the ends of the earth for this pumpkin!
your a great mom!

Also try to find a lil' mommy time here or there and do something for you.
Take a bubble bath.
Read a book.
Take a nap.
Whatever makes you smile.

In my prayers.
And sending love!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=182798555105&photoid=588409555105&Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=114209555105&refreshkey=1092871853409
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby paljane8 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 09:09 pm

I am sorry. I know how much you want to breast feed. It wasn't that long ago that we were in that same boat with Janie. My heart goes out to you-I felt the same way. I am really sorry for you. To my dissappointment and sadness, Janie didn't gain until we switched her to formula along with high cal. supplimenting. Bm is supposed to be best. It was hard to process that mine wasn't...

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

Postby momathelete » Thu Aug 19, 2004 09:29 pm

Oh honey, I am so sorry. It is so sorrowful when you feel like your body isn't doing what it is supposed to. I agree with Nancy, sometimes a supplement is what it takes. My milk actually never even came in, after 6 weeks of pumping and being on all types of drugs. Nothing. It does hurt and it is hard because you know the research behind it and you want so very much to have that for your baby. I have a big hug for you honey and a shoulder to support you. Your girl will gain weight and she will get off of the O2. It will happen!!!! I just pray that it happens soon.

Many, many hugs,

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 17 wks bedrest, 37 wkr) 1 yr old
momathelete

Return to Parents of Preemies