Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Re: My twins weight check

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re: My twins weight check

Postby naynays » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:50 am

by naynays (5 Posts), Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:50 am

Hi,

My 15 day old B/G twins had their weight check today. Little Zach gained 5 ounces in a week and little Amanda gained only 1 ounce.

The pediatrics doctor said she looks great, her coloring, her lungs, but she should of gained at least 3 ounces.

The doctor put Amanda on a new formula, called "Neosure", it has a higher calories per ounce.

I'm worried about her???

Has anyone gone through this?

Renae

Renae
naynays

Re : Re: My twins weight check

Postby jenn » Wed Aug 18, 2004 01:05 pm

by jenn (2038 Posts), Wed Aug 18, 2004 01:05 pm

Thanks updating us!
I'm glad your appt. went well.
though I know you wanted Amanda to weigh in at a lil' more.
But do remember she GAINED!
Neosure is a preemie formula made by Similac:
http://www.welcomeaddition.com/display.cfm?id=139&sub=144

Here's is some more info that may be helpful:

Nutrition for Premies

Your premature baby's eating habits depend on her level of maturity:

A premature baby may not cry to be fed because her immature nervous system doesn't always tell her when she's hungry.
She may have difficulty getting and keeping the nipple in her mouth.
Her small stomach will require that smaller meals be given more often.
Premature babies use a lot of energy when sucking. Because her mouth is small and the muscles used for sucking may be weak, she must work harder.
Each feeding may seem to last a long time. But this will change as she grows stronger and is better able to coordinate her sucking, swallowing, and breathing.
Your baby may often fall asleep during feedings.

Feeding still can be one of the most rewarding experiences you will have with your baby. Here are some things you can do to help make feeding times more enjoyable for both of you:

Create a peaceful place to feed your baby—make sure the room is quiet and softly lit.
Make sure she's wide awake. If your baby is asleep when a feeding is due, wake her by changing her position or removing her blankets.
Keep distractions, including rocking and talking, to a minimum.
Make eye contact with your baby.
Support her head and neck with your hand or arm.

You might be wondering if your baby is getting enough nutrition from the breastfeedings or formula feedings you give her. Your health care professional is best qualified to address these issues based on information gathered from monitoring your baby's growth.

Since parents are not always sure what to expect, it's helpful to have some guidelines. Consider calling your baby's doctor if you notice that:

Your baby's feedings routinely last more than 30 minutes.
Your baby is taking fewer than five meals per day.
Your baby: -
Often is fussy or distressed during feedings.

-
Has trouble breathing during a feeding.

-
Is difficult to wake for meals, tires easily, or has difficulty finishing a feeding.

-
Frequently gags, coughs, or chokes.

-
Refuses to eat, is difficult to feed, or arches or stiffens during a feeding.

Your baby is not having a bowel movement every day or has fewer than eight wet diapers daily.
The color of your baby's urine is a darker yellow than it was when she was in the hospital.

Remember, nutrition is important to your baby's growth and development. Try to make feeding time a pleasant experience for both you and your baby.

Keep your chin up. Amanda is juat a diva in training ;o)
Don't worry yourself sick, those two peas in a pod need a happy healthy mommy.
We are here if you need anything!
Lots of love!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

jenn