Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Big day for my BIG GIRL!!!! - UPDATE

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Big day for my BIG GIRL!!!! - UPDATE

Postby wcarder » Tue Aug 24, 2004 07:20 am

by wcarder (934 Posts), Tue Aug 24, 2004 07:20 am

My noodle is FIVE today, AND she started Kindergarten today as well. Whew! Big day!!! I'm seriously in shock. i can't believe she's five ~ i can't believe she's going to school!
My husband and I took her to school today, with three dozen cupcakes in tote, along with all of her school supplies and her little backpack, and lunch box...and of course, the CAMERA!

Noodles dad and his gilrfriend actually met us at the school for the big day, which was really great - because we are really working hard at parenting her together - we've certainly come a long way. For a long time, he was not involved, and when he would get involved, we fought, and his girlfriend hated my guts...and it was the classic story...you know the drill. His parents and his sister came, and my husbands parents came as well......we were all crying, and snapping pictures...i looked over at the teacher and you could just see in her face, she's thinking "oh my god, i have to deal with THESE people all year...?!?!" HEHE.

And of course, Kenzie is so well adjusted it hurts my feelings. She's literally shrugging me away from her and mumbling "Mom, i have to GO." And I'm embarassing her, because that's my god given right. I had her stand in every place around the room where it said her name (her hook on the wall, her cubby, her place at the table, etc.)and took her picture...and then she stood under the Welcome to Kindergarten sign with every member of her family, one at a time, for more pictures....poor kid. [:D]

Anyway, my husband keeps calling me at the office today, going "I wonder how noodle's doing" and we're both aware that she is certainly doing fine - making friends, learning new things, wearing the class happy birthday hat... and we are also aware that WE, however, are not so well, because both of our voices are cracking over the phone...[^] We're trying to stay strong, but it's so hard! I can't believe my baby is so grown up. What can you do?

Wendy
DH~ Ryan
DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks Ga, severe PE.
wcarder

Re : Big day for my BIG GIRL!!!! - UPDATE

Postby mada » Tue Aug 24, 2004 07:25 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Tue Aug 24, 2004 07:25 am

Oh wendy, You will surely treasure those photos!! Sam is starting kindergarten next year and I am already in tears thinking about it..He is going to pre school 2 mornings a week but there is something about KG.....Let us know how her 1st day went!!!

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Aug 24, 2004 07:47 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Tue Aug 24, 2004 07:47 am

Wendy - your noodle has a great birthday - Hannah is also celebrating hers today! You crack me up about the crying, and pictures - because I know I will be the SAME way when Hannah goes to school!!!! Congrats on raising your beautiful special little girl as an independent little lady. Hannah is the same way - she loves to go to preschool and tells me to go bye-bye! Have a wonderful day and let us know how her big day went.

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby paljane8 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 09:49 am

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Tue Aug 24, 2004 09:49 am

Happy birthday! What a day for you, Wendy! It is so exciting to send them off to K but, I find myself watching the clock until they get home :). The very best to you today!

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

Postby catherine » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:10 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:10 am

Happy Birthday Ms Kenzie!! Please forgive your mom... she just can't control herself and she's going to be doing it at every milestone.... all the way to your PhD!!!!!

Hey Wendy... you did great, after all your husband didn't have to drag you kicking and screaming from the classroom right???

I promise you it does get easier... just be proud at how secure and independent she is that she has headed off to school and the next phase of her life without being upset and afraid.

Hugs

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:03 am

by jenn (2038 Posts), Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:03 am

Wish her a Happy Birthday for me!

I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. Hugs!
jai might be going to school as well (preschool) and I'm kinda' hopin' they call and say no. I'm so selfish [:I]
And the great news about you and the X getting along for Noodles sake is AWESOME! I'm a stepmom and it took a long time for me and my DH's X to get along - now she relys on me all the time and I love that I'm so trusted. [:D]
Many wishes for the same.

Lots of love to you and Noodle!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=182798555105&photoid=588409555105&Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=114209555105&refreshkey=1092871853409
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby aimeejane » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:46 am

by aimeejane (589 Posts), Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:46 am

Happy Birthday, Kenzienoodle!! Congrats on your big day.

Kgarten's less than a year away for us, too. I'm sure I'll just be shaking my head in wonder that whole day...

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby wcarder » Wed Aug 25, 2004 08:05 am

by wcarder (934 Posts), Wed Aug 25, 2004 08:05 am

So, the day went off without a hitch. Her teacher is wonderful, and raved about my noodle. Kenzie had a great time, and was excited to go back today. She was very proud of the fact that she walked to and from the bathroom down the hall all by herself and got to pay for her own lunch all by herself. She's so little to me, it's weird to think of her doing all of those things on her own without any hand holding....*sigh* actually, a few weeks ago, i bought her this FABULOUS book called "I am too absolutely small for school" - which was more appropriate for the way I feel than the way she feels. Very cute book, though. Anyway, today as I was driving her, she said "Mom, drop me off by the door..." Drop her off?!?!?! What?!?!? She said "i can do it by myself - i know where my class is..." I said "Listen, noodle. I'm walking you to class until you are in high school, bottom line." She ROLLS her eyes and GROANS. Can you believe it???
I guess my baby is growing up. I'm in serious denial.
She also got to wear a birthday hat and shared cupcakes with her friends. She was surprised to know it wasn't everyone else's birthday. She thought you started kindergarten on your fifth birthday, and that's what everyone did. she was truly honored to be the only birthday girl who got to wear that hat, but said "it's because i was the only one who brought cupcakes..."(; Not realizing she was the only one having a birthday.
Anyway, thanks for all of the support, gals. I made it through ok - but noodle survived it much better than I did, I guess. She's already telling me about how she will be a crossing gaurd in sixth grade and is going to go to college to be a waitress....
Gotta love the kid. (;
Wendy
DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE
wcarder

Postby mada » Wed Aug 25, 2004 08:12 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Wed Aug 25, 2004 08:12 am

Too cute!! She sounds like an absolute doll!! They grow up so quickly huh?

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby paljane8 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 01:06 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Wed Aug 25, 2004 01:06 pm

That is a sweet story. Be sure you copy, paste and save it. (Do we write things down anymore???) I love the book "The kissing Hand". That is one that is more for me than my kids.

My little Scotty starts k in a few weeks too, sigh.

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies