Eating issues

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Eating issues

Postby deerhart » Fri Sep 03, 2004 09:11 am

Therese

Usually most docs will say the rule of thumb is if the baby is gaining weight and refusing food after a certain point they are getting enough to eat.
Another thing to remember is that a baby's stomach is very very small and cannot hold alot of stuff at a time. Thus, babies with higher metabolism will eat more frequently becuase they will use up the calories their stomach can hold faster then other babies. Also, babies with larger stomachs will eat more sooner then others will. As the baby gets bigger, their stomach grows and they can hold ore food at one sitting.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby samarasmom » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:04 am

Samara ate like that too. She would eat 2-3 ounces every 2 hours on the dot. She is just now taking more in I was just hoping she would be satisfied longer.
Therese, Samara was not in NICU, the hospital that she was born in did not have one and they did not feel the need to ship her over to one that did though she came close. She was not breathing when born and had to be revived and also had to have help breathing for about 5 hours after her birth. She was under some large machine that had oxygen going for her from what her dad had said. I was hemorraghing alot and was out of it so it was several hours before I was able to see, hold or know much about her. She had jaundice but she was at home and I was never told to do much about that. I was unable to breastfeed since she was having trouble with latching on and eating but she is doing great, it did not take her long to fiqure it out.

How is Conner doing now? I hope all is well and dont worry about him eating a little at a time Erin has this one on the nose about their stomachs

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that she is growing. Before I know it she wont be so little anymore. (wimper)

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby twolfgram » Tue Sep 07, 2004 08:43 am

Thanks everyone. Connor was doing better, three oz every three hours, until this weekend, we had a bday party for my mom and he got thrown off. He's still not back up to that and seems crankier than usual, I have an appt for tomorrow, we'll see how he does. He seems a little warm today, too, so I'll have to take his temp. It's always something, huh? Sandra, is Samara breast feeding now? I couldn't tell from your post.

Therese
Mom to:
Jonathan 10/4/95 28 wks
Erik(stillborn) 12/20/02
Connor 8/11/04 35 wks
twolfgram

Postby samarasmom » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:23 am

No I was unable to breastfeed at birth and when was able to I was scared miss piggy wouldnt get enough from me since I was starting to dry and she was pigging out. Glad to hear Conner is better and hope that he isnt running a temp and getting ill. He will get back on his eating schedule. Samara is doing wonderful since I switched her bottles. She hasnt needed her gas drops or her reflux meds and has stopped being colicky, geesh why didnt I try this earlier. She is a much better baby

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby kylesmom » Wed Sep 08, 2004 04:54 pm

Sandra- So glad to hear that Samara's happier with new bottles... Kyle had reflux too and I was nursing him what seemed like every hour and a half. Babies with reflux tolerate smaller, more frequent meals better. When I offered a bottle, I used a new kind of no-gas bottle called Dr. Brown's Natural Flow (it has a weird tube in the middle that filters air to the bottom of the bottle). I dunno, but it worked wonders for us. Sounds like the bottles you have are doing the job- just wanted to throw that out there.

In terms of how much, how often... when you nurse you can't really tell just how much they are getting which puts less pressure on you I think. I'd say feed her more and when she feels she's done, she'll stop... or spit-up the leftovers! [:D]

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies