Wyatts First Speech appt ***UPDATE***

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Wyatts First Speech appt ***UPDATE***

Postby raindrop » Wed Sep 08, 2004 07:54 am

Yesterday the speech therapist came by the house and did a LONG questionaire thing and all about Wyatt and said that from that test score, she said he scored 5 and 7mo on[:(], I think, expressive and recognition, I think it was I cant recall the words she said right off, was long words... lol I was rather shocked when she told me the months he scored at, I dont recall which was which either as she told me both at the same time. When she comes back next week I am going to see if I can get his score stuff in writing after she gets her report fully written.

He was really tired today and she will see him eating next Tues when she comes back. She did say that she wanted to see him weekly, but didnt say for how long. She did say that at his age he should be making B T K P and a few other sounds that he is not making.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Re : Wyatts First Speech appt ***UPDATE***

Postby angelkat » Wed Sep 08, 2004 09:18 am

Donna,
Hang in there. Before you know it Wyatt will be talking to no ends!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby deerhart » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:11 am

Donna

Please please please do NOT stress over the first results of a speech evaluation and I also encourage you to have more then one done. I know its tiresome and troublesome, but it will give you a better idea of where your son is truely at. In 2 1/2 months time Alex had 3 speech evaluations done. He was roughly 34-36 months old at the time. The evaluations came back as him being at a 12 month old expressive/receptive range, 18-24 month expressive/receptive range, and 30-34 month expressive with normal receptive range. In the long run the felt that he was probably around a 24 month range. If he is making any letter sounds at all, he is above a 5 month range. We automatically knew the 12 month range was way to low for Alex because he had a vocabulary of almost 250 words and at the most a 12 month old may have 1-2 words if that (Alex was a little harder to pin down because his vocabulary is huge he just wasn't forming sentences with the words like he should have been etc..)

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby raindrop » Wed Sep 08, 2004 02:55 pm

The only sounds he makes consistantly are dada and sometimes mama (that one isnt as much though) he only has a few others that is a part time thing. Well, technically this is his second eval as the first I hadnt heard back from her yet and she hadnt yet put her things in her computer to figure it up at that time, I can try and find out what she thought though.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long

raindrop

Postby jenn » Wed Sep 08, 2004 03:45 pm

Don't get down.
He's in great hands!
With the right help- this kiddo' will be reporting the news in no time.

He's such a doll, I love his photo!
Send him my love and a hug to you as well.
He's gonna' be talking our arms and legs off like nobody's business when this is all said and done- you wait.

Love!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby kylesmom » Wed Sep 08, 2004 04:35 pm

Hi Donna- I am a Speech Therapist [:)] although I am only working a few hours a week with a Birth-to-Three program in my area... Try not to get down based on the numbers... It depends on what particular test they give and who it is "normed" on. Also keep in mind that as a preemie, it is perfectly fine for him to show some delays both receptively (what he understands) and expressively (what he can express- pointing, naming, signing, etc). He will catch up. The most important thing to remember is that early intervention is the absolute best thing you can do- and you are doing it.

How is he doing functionally? The speech sounds are important, but the language is more important (IMHO).

If you have any questions let me know!

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Postby samarasmom » Wed Sep 08, 2004 05:39 pm

I agree please dont stress yet. Some babies ACTUALLY dont talk. Isaiah was at 9 months at 18 months. When the teacher starts to talk to him and work with him you will see how fact it picks up. Isaiah was so smart he could do anything you asked just could not repeat you. He wasnt and still isnt a talker. He talks when he needs something otherwise forget it. Elijah was the same way and now I wonder why I was so eager for them to talk now I cant get away from all the questions and smart remarks. Isaiah also refused to say Ma ma alot also Everyone was DADDY. Now we are all Erica ( eka) his baby sitter that he is obsessed over and we are also Hey. Nice names huh
I am sure Wyatt will start talking soon and is in good hands. Can he understand you. Sign language is GREAT and encourages speach , we did this with Elijah when he was 75% declared deaf and sounded deaf. He couldntr even hear his own speech

All will work out. Take care and dont give up. You are doing great for him

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby raindrop » Wed Sep 08, 2004 06:32 pm

Jennifer
She didnt say anything about functional part. He grunts usually or crys if he wants something. She asked about his hearing and said she would get him an appt for a hearing test since he hasnt had one since birth (that hadnt even crossed my mind).

Im not too stressed it just shocked me. I was expecting a few months, not almost a year.

I know it will get better soon though. I know his walking will improve once we get to where he can get around in more open floor when we move. He has a few walking toys but can use them here, no room.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33

raindrop

Postby samarasmom » Wed Sep 08, 2004 07:02 pm

Dont know if they suggested this or if you do this but it worked for us. When he grunts or cries for what he wants make sure you say the name and give him time to ask for it himself ( if he will repeat) do this all the time and dont push it and eventually he will start to repeat things

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby aimeejane » Wed Sep 08, 2004 07:13 pm

I'm glad you're not too stressed about it. It's a shock when you get those developmental numbers for the first time, I know.

A great tool you might want to get is one of those echoing plastic microphones (they have them at some dollar stores and at party city). Kids love talking into them from a very early age, and sometimes they'll repeat things more quickly. We use them in our Kindermusik classes to draw out the shy kids, and it works wonders. I've actually been thinking about getting one, since Kalen doesn't even say Mama and Dada consistently yet.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies