Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Wyatts First Speech appt ***UPDATE***

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Wyatts First Speech appt ***UPDATE***

Postby raindrop » Wed Sep 08, 2004 07:16 pm

by raindrop (454 Posts), Wed Sep 08, 2004 07:16 pm

I try that just about every time he does it. I think he is going to be stubborn like his daddy..lol. He usually gets more frustrated when I tell him what it is or try and get him to say it.

Im sure when he starts talking he will be like his sisters... they dont know when to hush...lol the oldest and Whitney can talk for hours straight. I usually dread long car rides with all of them just for that reason, that is probably why I was shocked when she said 5 and 7 mo.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to severe PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby kylesmom » Thu Sep 09, 2004 06:51 am

by kylesmom (186 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 06:51 am

So you are pg, have 2 kids AND are moving? Wow. Busy? When are you moving?

A hearing screening is recommended for all kids with language delay. Kids with older siblings are sometimes delayed b/c the older kids often do the talking for them. On the other hand, they can also be great language models.

I am sure when you meet with the SLP, she will have lots of ideas for you. The echo microphone is a great idea, giving words to his cries and grunts is also great. Some other ideas might be to offer choices of two "do you want milk or water?...yogurt or fruit?" That will encourage pointing and eventually speaking. Its important to know also that you have to build his receptive language before you can expect him to talk- think of kids as little language sponges and just talk about everything you do and especially what he is doing. Hold off on trying to get him to repeat or "perform" - sometimes it backfires and they clam up even more. Try lots of books and singing too. You can sing his favorite song using only sounds (sing ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma, ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta... to the tune of 'twinkle twinkle little star' for example)

OK, hope that's not TMI... I just wanted to give you some ideas that you could run with before you meet with your provider again.

That'll be $50 please. [;)] [:D] hahahaha... good luck!!!

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Postby raindrop » Thu Sep 09, 2004 07:03 am

by raindrop (454 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 07:03 am

We are actually in the process of moving now, it is just slow going until they get the trailer finished. The guy is having it set up and all ready for power and all that fun stuff. We are getting a key Monday to start moving some things into the trailer. I hate moving so much, hopefully this will be the last time for a very long time.

The one thing the lady that came by suggested was to use a ball or something that started with which ever letter I was doing with him and patting it saying the ba-ba or whatever sound and see if he would do it. He will hit the ball but so far that is it. She said that was a start so I guess we will go from there.

As for the younger one not talking as much, I see that in my step daughters, they are 18mo apart and the younger doesntlke to talk. We have to repeatedly tell the older one *Who were we talking to??* She is getting better for not talking for others as bad now. This is after over 6yrs of this too.

We actually have some of those mircophones somewhere. He does play with one but it isnt totally hard plastic, it has some rubber on it and he loves to chew on it. Every now and then he makes a sound in it and looks at it like *where did that sound come from*. I will look for those while we pack and go thru things and if I cant find them I will just go to the dollar store, I think that is where we got the first ones at.

Thanks for the info, any little bit will help. But Im sure it wont be long till Im saying *please be quite for just a little bit* ... LOL

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to severe PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long

raindrop

Postby deerhart » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:40 am

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:40 am

there are TONS of sites on the web that teach parents how to work with their children' language delays. There are many many different things to do.

One of the things I have seen that has worked the best for my son is child led speech therapy. He intiates the activities and I follow. Also once the words start to flow there are exercises to help build sentences such as
Child starts playing with a car
Parent says "Car" and picks up a car
Child looks at car
Parent rolls car on the ground and says "Car go"
child rolls car
Parent says "Car go vroom"

Eventually the child will start to repeat what you say. A lot of times the SLP's will give the child the language as well. I know my son's SLP and I have told him many a times Alex say "xyz". It actually took him awhile to learn to drop the Alex say part and just say the sentence but it does work.

2 forms we have found helpful in dealing with our son's speech delay has been Greenspan's Floor Time (this is aimed more at children with speech delays and social delays, autism, etc.. but also works well on none delayed children). The other form is Communicating Partners by Dr. James MacDonald (http://www.jamesdmacdonald.org/). There is also a listserv for Dr. MacDonald.

In many speech sites they also discuss other disorders like autism, ADD, etc because speech delays are a fundamental part of the autism diagnosis and a child with only a speech delay can exhibit the same problems an autistic child does (such as delays in social skills, problems with routines/transitions etc..) which can be caused by the lack of communication skills (tantrums from frustration, inability to relate/talk to peers because of lack of language, lack of confidence to talk to peers because they know their langauge is behind etc..)

HTH

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby nicoleharrison » Fri Sep 17, 2004 06:02 am

by nicoleharrison (249 Posts), Fri Sep 17, 2004 06:02 am

Donna,

I can relate to your worries! My little one is 19 months old (Noah, born 26 weeks--severe PE) and had a speech eval. back in June. They said he was at a 6 month level. After hearing about all of the delays her currently has, that one caused for an emotional day. I agree with what everyone is saying, but it's so hard not to worry. Thank you to Jennifer for the helpful info-- never TMI!!

Wyatt looks amazing and hopefully he and Noah will both be talking very soon!

Nicole

Mom to Noah (19 months)
Ohio State Coordinator
nicoleharrison

Postby raindrop » Mon Oct 11, 2004 08:12 pm

by raindrop (454 Posts), Mon Oct 11, 2004 08:12 pm

[:D][:D] Wyatt is now starting to mimic some B sounds when we make them to him... and he is signing *more* a little, a few times without even showing him first. Kinda shocked me the first time the did that. He has started walking now, started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I decided he wanted to walk for when we got moved into the new place so he could get into everything, as he started taking a few steps just about a week before we got moved.. now.. he is starting to try and run. And boy does he like to get into stuff.

Just thought I would stop by and give an update on the little man.. well not so little man now. He now weighs 22lbs 10oz. Wont know other stuff till his 15mo check up on the 14th.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33

raindrop

Postby jenn » Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:28 am

by jenn (2038 Posts), Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:28 am

Donna that's great!
I knew he'd show us up, but I didn't think he'd be so eager!
Awesome!
Keep up the good work and give the lil' man a high five for me!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby aimeejane » Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:39 am

by aimeejane (589 Posts), Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:39 am

Go, Wyatt!!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby kylesmom » Wed Oct 13, 2004 06:27 am

by kylesmom (186 Posts), Wed Oct 13, 2004 06:27 am

That's a great update! Pretty soon, he will be chatting up a storm! Try to mimic his sounds when he makes them to reinforce them. Walking too? That's great! [:)] Kyle is just starting to walk in the past couple of weeks too- such an exciting time!

Jennifer 33
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Postby paljane8 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:11 am

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:11 am

Yay!!!!! I know how happy you must be, Donna! That is wonderful. Don't you love early intervention?

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies