Somebody hold me up!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Somebody hold me up!

Postby wcarder » Thu Sep 09, 2004 06:18 am

What a day, huh?

Nothing like throwing yourself into a situation like that. Sometimes it's the only way to go!

So, do all of you lucky ladies get to be at home with your babies???? Sounds to me like we've got a large group of stay at home moms. Can I just say -~-~ JEALOUS? That's what I want to be when I grow up....a stay at home mom....*sigh* Your little ones are lucky to have you guys waiting for them to come home!!! I don't get to see my noodle until 5:30 every night. ):

Wendy

DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA severe PE

wcarder

Postby meljoi » Thu Sep 09, 2004 06:54 am

Wendy.....
I am a sahm-I was working when Peyton was a newbee-up until he turned about 3. Then my business died.....I was working out of a darkroom at my house. I am so thankful to be able to stay home with him, but what DH doesn't realize is that's it's not bon-bons and Oprah. It is MAJOR work 24 hours a day! I got up every night with P until he started sleeping through the night (just a few months ago)-DH gets to sleep-because he has to go to work. I was also single momming it when DH went to school out of state for 6 months and then took a job out of state for another 6 months......that just about killed me.
It's not that we can afford for me to stay home, but we made the decision that Peyton (as well as Lucy) will stay at home. So, I have just signed up for another 3-4 years with Lucy. Someone get out their energy shots.........I don't know how I am going to keep up!!

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
Baby Lucy due 11/26/04
see her photos!
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/lucys
meljoi

Postby jenn » Thu Sep 09, 2004 07:01 am

Sandra,
I gave Shad a moments notice, he dropped his work and drove ten miles in less than 10 mins!
So I was wasn't recieving any wife of the year awards with him yesterday.
If I would have left him alone- I'm sure he would have cried his eys out. He was def. holding back emotion.
He called me 3x to check on her - and I thought I was bad ;o)

Mel,
I'm glad I didn't myself time to think it over. I would have talked myself out of it 1,000 x.
So yea' Jai going to school- no biggie
Mommy surviving the day - HUGE!
You lil' P is great kid! Wish him well for me on his 2nd day of M.D.O.

AmieeJane,
Thanks, I'm not the only mom sneekin' the kid off to school in pull-ups. Even if she was trained- I'm affraid the excitment would have blew it anyhow. So no biggie. I'll just change her before and after.
And she big on privacy! So I doubt she'd poop at school...drama if she does.
And I forgot- last night she walks into the bathroom and just went all by herself- ALONE! She comes out braggin- I did it, I went potty!
I'm not sure how much more of this big kid stuff I can handle!

T,
I'm so bad, I insist on driving her...all of 6 houses down.
I'm pathetic!
But the teacher says we'll be doing field trips on the bus. Hope they have room for one more (me!)
And I'm sure at some point this will get better.
For now I should be looking into pro help!
I'm dreading tomorrow! :o)

Wendy,
Exactly- cold turkey was the only way it was gonna' get done.
And yea' I'm a lucky ducky for being able to be an at home mommy.
But Noodle is just as lucky to have a sucessful working mommy to take care of her.
I'm just as jealous of you as you are of us S.A.H.M's
(why does it work that way?! ;o)

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby wcarder » Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:37 am

Melissa - I know staying at home is no picnic. It's a TON of work with no escape! (: But how wonderful for your kiddo's to have you there...

I got to stay home with noodle until she was 11 months - as she was on a heart monitor and meds. She and I lived in a tiny whole in the wall living off of SSI/disability...broke as the ten commandments, but those were this best days of my life. Then I went to college full time, lived off of loan money, continued to be poor, but cherished being home with the girly 5 days a week...(crammed all my classes in on just tues and thurs...) -- did the single mommy jive for four and a half years...Now I'm married, and I work for a medical malpractice lawfirm FIVE DAYS A WEEK, NINE HOURS A DAY and it's a SHOCK to my system, as well as my little girls, but luckily i did get to be there through babyhood and toddlerhood. I admire and applaud all of you who made the decision to raise your kiddos, and am proud of your hubby's for supporting that decision, too!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

Sorry to hijack your thread momentarily, Jennie - But just wanted to give a shout out to all the SAHM's, because you all ROCK and should be commended...(:

Wendy

DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE
wcarder

Postby aimeejane » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:14 am

Thanks, Wendy...it's a TOUGH decision, and it seems that no matter which way you go, you're going to be resented by someone on the other side! (Not you...your post just reminded me of all the debates I've seen on it.)

Dr. Phil had a show on it recently - SAHM's vs. WOHM's. VERSUS? What is with us as women? Shouldn't we all be on the same side, fighting for the rights of our kids and for our own rights to do what we WANT, no matter what that want is????

Sorry to rant...I love the support here. We're all just a tad envious of each other. No one's nasty. It's GREAT!!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby mada » Thu Sep 09, 2004 01:12 pm

Jenn,
SO glad that Jai is loving her preschool. I know it's so hard when you drop them off the first time but it's kind of cool to get involoved with their little preschools and have some time to yourself. And when Miss Matalia shows up, you can have baby time as well!! I think this is a great giant awesome leap for the both of you!! Congrtas!!

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby jenn » Thu Sep 09, 2004 02:49 pm

Wendy,
I beg Shad daily to switch me jobs! Ok I don't beg, I PLEAD! Somehow I still lose. ;o)
But it is a sacrifice to stay home as well as an honor. On one hand I won't let anyone touch Jai with a ten foot pole- so someone's gotta' take care of the lil' stinker. And then the down side is that we can't afford to live outside of my parents home right now. Granted they have made it so nice and comfy for us now, who'd wanna' leave ;o) I threaten them daily I'm never leaving :op
And Aimee's right, we are all a tad envious of each other.
Send Noodle my love.

Aimee,
People have actually debated this? How crazy. And only Dr. Phil could make a show of it ;o)
Sorry I missed it, but it's a fight over the channels here 24/7- Jai always wins! :o(

Mada,
Thanks, it was a giant leap! The after shock is gone and I'm looking forward to tomorrow (2nd day of school) I promised to do a drop off this time and not linger like sad lost puppy.
God help me! And yes I will so enjoy some bonding time for me and Nattie-Bean.
Guess I won't be lost and lonely for long.
BTW, I forgot I was gonna' email you...expect one soon.
(about Dr. p)

Lots of love to all!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby meljoi » Thu Sep 09, 2004 03:01 pm

wendy...
Please don't think that I was jumping on a soapbox! I was not implying that you were envious in the respect that it was a picnic.......
so I apologize if it seemed as though I was saying it like that.
That's great that you were able to be with the noodle when she came home and for as long as you were able to. I stand up an applaud you incredibly doing all of that by yourself......and single mommying it for that long......YOU ROCK!
After a year alone with P by myself......I was going to pull every hair outta my head.

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
Baby Lucy due 11/26/04
see her photos!
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/lucys
meljoi

Postby samarasmom » Thu Sep 09, 2004 05:41 pm

YOu ladies are scaring Me I am in the middle of making the decision to stay at home since my 5 yr old is having some problems that I feel that I need to address and dont want others to deal with. Also I would like the quality time. I will make sure to ask for time off though from the kids too. I have a great network of family and friends so Im sure they will take over once in a while

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby wcarder » Fri Sep 10, 2004 06:57 am

Oh, I know it would be a tough decision....financially, emotionally and otherwise. There truly are pro's and con's to both situations, but I really feel that if you are able to stay home with your littles, you should. My goal is to have a baby and QUIT MY JOB!!!! I think being a mom is the most important job, but for now, it's just not doable. My husband just started his career, and I have to work until he makes a little more money....*sigh* I mean, I really like my job, but I hate feeling like someone else gets more QT with my girl than I do. It's torture. However, i don't think SAHM's and WOHM's should battle against eachother....and I don't resent ANYONE who gets to raise there children full time.

And Mel, I didn't take your statement that way at all....I guess I just have a lot of guilt these days because I don't get to be with Kenzie as much as I use to...as much as I WANT to...as much as she needs me to, you know? And thanks for the applause - it was a rough road...but, you'll just have to buy the book because no thread could contain all of hurdles noodle and i overcame....(; But it was well worth every part.

So, JENNIE - is Jai a five day a weeker, or three days a week? Is she loving it? Making friends? How is the potty party going? any more accidents at school? don't worry about too much about it. Sounds like she's adjusting REALLY well to the big change, and YOU are doing a GREAT JOB sharing (: ~ I always hate sharing my noodle too.... (: It's good that Jai is doing this now - to kind of enter her into big girlhood before the baby gets here...I think it will really help her feel like a BIG SISTER, rather than being jealous that she is not the baby anymore. (hopefully, right?)

Well, keep me updated!

Wendy

DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA. severe PE
wcarder

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies