Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:09 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:09 pm

But I can't help it. My SIL (Hubby's brother's wife) is in the hospital having their first baby. Her water broke this morning at 39 weeks. Everyone is so excited and we're waiting on word whether it's a girl or boy (I'm also praying for no complications). They live 13 hours from us so we won't get to see it right away but we're happy for them. This will be my husband's first niece or nephew. She had the perfect pregnancy and worked all the way up until today! They wanted to go ahead and induce her yesterday since she was already dialated and her bp was a little elevated, but she wanted to wait until Friday so she could go home and clean the house and get ready for the baby. I didn't have that luxury. I left work on a Tuesday to go to my 6 month check-up and I didn't even see my house again for another month! We had just bought the crib the day before and it was still in the box and we didn't have anything else yet. When I went for the checkup I was admitted to the hospital immediately for pre-e. My husband was working 3 hours away, and my parents lived 2 hours away. Hubby came home, and 2 days later I was transferred to a hospital an hour away to have the baby at just 26 weeks, because the pre-e had gotten so bad. My parents met us there and stayed for hours while Hannah was delivered and I was sewn up. I was taken to ICU because my bp would not go down. My mom said the doctors were afraid they were going to lose both of us, especially when Hannah weighed in at less than a pound in the delivery room. Then we had the four month NICU roller coaster. BUT, I have a beautiful, healthy three year old little girl, and I would not trade her or our experience for the world. But when I hear stories of the perfect pregnancy and perfect birth, I get a little jealous. Anyone else feel that way?

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Re : I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Postby mlcoltrain » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:23 pm

by mlcoltrain (72 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:23 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I delivered my DD just 7weeks ago at 27.5 weeks. She is currently still in the NICU, but is doing really well. I have a friend that was pregnant before I was and she had her baby at term 2 weeks after I had my emergency c-section. They only live 2 houses down and everytime I visit, I am very happy for them, but I am so jealous that they had the prefect pregnancy and birth and that their baby is home with them now. While I would never want what happened to me to happen to anyone, I do feel jealous at how perfectly everything has happened for them. To make matters worse my DD is in an NICU 2hrs away from my home. But I am going to see her for a long weekend tomorrow and hopefully (crosses fingers) we will get to hold her for the first time. So you aren't alone, and I think it's normal to be a little jealous.

Michelle
DD - Morgan Rose - 27.5 wks (7/24/04 - severe PE/HELLP/Low fluid)
mlcoltrain

Postby jyn » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:31 pm

by jyn (72 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:31 pm

I was lucky enough to have 2 full term babies with pre-e. This pregnancy I have been on bedrest. I have a coworker who is due the same time and she is still working and out having fun. I am very jealous. It doesn't seem fair. Now I sound like my 8 year old. All my friends get too.

Jyn 30
DH Andy 33
Logan 8yrs preE 38 weeks
Aleck 4yrs preE 36 weeks
due 11/21/04 on partial bedrest since June full since August 19th
jyn

Postby jenn » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:57 pm

by jenn (2038 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:57 pm

Under your emotion I'm sure your excited to be an anutie ( so congrats on that!!! )
but I understand what you mean.
My sil and I were due on the same day...so when her time rolled around and I already had my 10 wkr, I couldn't help but feel like the odd man out.
And when she got to take my niece home the next day...oh we won't even talk about it >:o'
So know that it's gotta' be normal to feel this way.
Though do try to muster up some smiles and joy for them, I'm sure it's well deserved.
And now I'll be dying to know how things went, so do share an update when you can. ;o)
Congrats Auntie Suzanne!
Hugs and love!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby samarasmom » Thu Sep 09, 2004 05:35 pm

by samarasmom (560 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 05:35 pm

YES. I did not have it as rough as some of you moms but i labored a long time and had to be induced with all 3 I was in labor for 78 hours with Elijah. I was dialted to 4 cm fro 2 wks and labored for 56 hours with Isaiah and was dialted to 6 cm for 1 wk and labored for over 20 hours. I was told they would be a breeze after the forst. Yeah right. I felt that i lost control of the situation b/c for some reason my body stops contracting at a certain point so they had to induce. I felt let down and hate to hear when other moms have it easy and labor 4 hours or whatever. I was so exshausted and in so much pain since an epidural dont work for me b/c of my anatomy I was told. Good thing I didnt need a csection since I would have to be put to sleep.
I think its a normal feeling when your pregnancy and child birth is stolen from you and others get to enjoy.
But remember all children and experiences are different for a reason.

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Postby mom2tori » Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:30 pm

by mom2tori (3842 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:30 pm

I am awful at getting myself all worked up, upset, jealous and angry when I come across some other peoples pregnancies. I am getting better though so I have to pat myself on the back for that one. I feel like I did everything right. From the moment I found out I was pregnant I read every pregnancy book, ate all the foods I hate but were healthy for the baby and did every little thing the doctor said and still I cannot have a "normal" pregnancy. I have a friend who never went to the doctor when she was pregnant, smoked and drank and still had a beautifully healthy baby and it still angers me to think about it. But, as I said I am getting better. I do feel extremely blessed to have my daughter and if what I went through made me a better mother than I wouldn't change a thing.
Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97
Victoria 1/8/02
mom2tori

Postby nicoleharrison » Fri Sep 17, 2004 06:14 am

by nicoleharrison (249 Posts), Fri Sep 17, 2004 06:14 am

Thank goodness for this forum! It's been 19 months since Noah's birth (26 weeker--severe PE) and I still get a little jealous when I see full term babies and big bellied women. It is frustrating because we followed the rules, but things went wrong. I went in for a check up on a Thursday and complained of puffy feet--by Monday he was born at just 1 pound, 11 ounces. 84 days in the hosptial proved to be the biggest test of my life.

But there was one thing that brought me peace and I think it's important to share it with all of you. Noah had this Neonatologist in the NICU that everyone called Dr. Doom. He always gave worst case scenario and never offered any hope. I was determined not to let him get me down until the one day when he said that Noah's lungs were some of the worst he had seen in some time and then hit me again with "he most likely has cerebal palsy". I was devestated. All I could say as I was sobbing was "why is this happening to us?" This man, who was generally a cold person looked at me and said, "I believe that special children are given to special parents. If he had been born to anyone else, he wouldn't have half the chance he does." That was one of the most profound moments of my life-- I knew I had a very important job ahead of me.

Didn't mean to get all philosophical on you all, but I wanted to share that because it helped me get through a very troubled time.

Noah has still not been officially diagnosed with CP, but they are waiting. He's delayed and gets OT, PT and speech. But they gave him a 50% chance of survival, so I am a thankful mom.

I agree with Alissa-- I am a better mother because of all of it. :)

Thank you all for sharing!

Nicole
Mom to Noah (2/17/03)

nicoleharrison

Postby sarab » Fri Sep 17, 2004 07:58 am

by sarab (2950 Posts), Fri Sep 17, 2004 07:58 am

Suzanne,

First off, congrats on being an auntie!

I struggled with this for a long time. It is so hard not feel that jealousy when you have been "robbed" of what's supposed to be the happiest experience of your life.

To me, it completely depends on the person's attitude. I get pretty steamed when I hear someone complaining that they "didn't get to go natural" like they had planned, or ended up having to have a c-section. Yes, I know that can be such a disapointment, and I don't blame people for being a little sad about it, but when it becomes a huge black mark and they dwell on it instead of their child, that's when I get upset.

On the other hand, my best friend is 36 weeks right now, and honestly has had the "perfect" pregnancy. The thing is, she knows how things could be and doesn't take a second of it for granted. She truly is so humble and really knows how blessed she is. Because of that, I can honestly say that I'm genuinely happy for her, just as she was terrified for me when we had Maggie. So, for me, it totally depends on the person's attitude about it.

The thing that has made me the most upset, was when a woman at church came up and asked to know what had happened with Maggie and why I had delivered so early. I started to explain about preeclampsia and what had happened. She cut me off and said, "Well, you got lucky because you didn't have to go through labor!" She then starts going on and on about her poor daughter (41 weeks) who had to push for an hour and had to have an episiotomy...*gasp*! Can you believe it? [}:)] The saddest part was this woman was barely an aquaintance, and she was dead serious. I can think of a million things I would say if faced with that situation again, but at the time I was so stunned that I didn't say a word.

The thing I have really been trying to do to help when I start feeling angry or jealous is to remember that there are always others who have it worse off than me. I hope that you feel comfort knowing that no matter what anyone else says, there are always people here who *really* know what you're going through.

Hugs,

Sara, 24
Local Coordinator, Utah
Moderator, "After Your Baby is Born"

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
Surprise, surprise! #2 EDD March 10, 2005

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby tanya » Wed Sep 22, 2004 03:31 pm

by tanya (621 Posts), Wed Sep 22, 2004 03:31 pm

Suzanne,
I too totally know how you feel. I didn't really experience those feelings until my DS was born. My SIL(husband's only sister) and I were preggers at the same time. It all kind of started when I had my MC in July, she waited a whole 3 days after my D&C to announce her big news. I realize how exciting it is to find out you are preggers,especially for the first time, but I felt she could have at least waited for the urine to dry and the 2nd line to totally show up before she made the big announcement. After my DH and I decided to try again and were successful, our baby was to be due in May and my SIL was due in March. Well needless to say she had a completely stress free pregnancy and was 2 weeks overdue while my pregnancy was a lot more complicated and had my DS 9 weeks early. We ended up giving birth only 3 days apart, both to beautiful baby boys. While my DS made his home in the NICU for the next 28 days everyone from my DH's family was oooohhhhing and aaahhhing over my nephew. Some people in my DH's family were very good about comparing the 2 boys with their size and milestones. Needless to say my nephew was huge to begin with!! He started out in the world at a whopping 9 1/2 pounds while my little Grant was a mear 3 lbs on the nose. It drove me crazy at first and wanted nothing more than for my son to be "normal". After a while I just reminded people when they would compare the two that Grant was doing everything he should for being his gestational age. I would remind them that he was only supposed to be 2 months instead of 4 months, and after a while they more or less took the hint. Hopefully this pregnancy experience will be different in many positive ways. My SIL and I are both expecting again only I am pretty sure these next 2 babes will NOT be 3 days apart since she is expecting hers any day. It would be sooooo fun to take a baby home from the hospital right away. That is by biggest wish!!!

Take Care,
Tanya
Jason(DH)
Leah born 2/4/99 at 34 weeks ...PIH
Miscarriage 10 weeks
Grant born 3/29/01 at 31 weeks... Severe PE
Miracle #3 EDD 01/27/05
tanya

Postby youtan » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:04 am

by youtan (1592 Posts), Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:04 am

Thats exactly how I feel. Its so hard not to get envious of the 'perfect' pregnancy. Right now among my collegues, there a 4 or 5 pregnant women. They are all due in the next 2 or 3 months. I just heard that one of the women just now went to her 1st, yes FIRST, OB appointment at the beginning of her 3rd trimester. Its her 3rd or 4th baby - just routine to them, I suppose. These moms-to-be are so lucky, they are able to work, exercise, feel great, and some of them take off, oh, 2 weeks for delivery, and are back on their feet like nothing happened.

I suppose I'm still somewhat grieving from the loss of the pregnancy that I had hoped. I was ready for a natural birth. I was going to be one of those mothers that would be strong and be able to handle any pain, tough! I was seeing a midwife, reading books about all kinds of natural birth positions, water birth, etc. But, I didn't even get to go to one birthing class. I was hosipitalized the day of the 1st class and had my baby 4 days later...

Will I ever get over being envious, no, probably not. But, I'm learning how to be happy for others' miracles, because no matter how a baby comes, all babies are miracles! [:D]

I think there is just still this ignorance in the general public about how a pregnancy should go. I was visiting a church and the preacher made a joke about this woman, who was pregnant. I don't remember what the reason was, but he said something like, well, she should just have the baby early because of such in such. I was appalled at the time that he could have been so careless. But, maybe I was being overly sensitive. But, then I went back several weeks later, and she HAD had the baby early and they were praying for the mother and baby.

And, many people think the only way to have a baby early is because of early onset labor or twins or drugs. I had a social worker come up to me in the NICU. I had lots of bruises on my arms from IVs and such. She thought I was a drug addict and constantly I was pushed literature on how to be a good parent, because obviously, having a preemie, I couldn't take care of my body! [:(!]

Anyway, can you feel the anger? Its still here, even after 5 yrs. Fading, but there.

Tanya
Nathanial 5 yr PE/HELLP 27 wks, 1 lb 10 oz
Jonathan 2 yr PIH/low fluid 32 wks, 4 lb 8 oz
youtan

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies