I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Postby arj » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:29 am

I'm sorry, Suzanne. I imagine that must have been very difficult for you. But hey, how jealous are you now that mom is at home, 2 weeks postpartum and her world is ROCKED caring for a newborn who isn't sleeping more than 3 hours straight and cries all the time?!?! No, I'm just kidding...

Seriously, I have so much respect and admiration for you women who have been through difficult pregnancies, deliveries and the NICU. I was one of the lucky full-term PEers. My only trauma was my awful delivery, which at the time seemed devastating, but looking at so many of your stories, it pales in comparison. I think that even though you had an extremely challenging and scary experience, you gained so much more than if it would have been like "A Baby Story." Think of how much appreciation of your child, and the amazing strength and ability to support others you've gained. God forbid that Hannah goes through something like her mother did... Well, if she does, she will have the most wonderful supportive and informed person there next to her side to help her through it.

Allison (29)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. Mild PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Sep 30, 2004 03:37 pm

Thanks ladies for all of your wonderful posts. They brought me to tears. Allison - you're right - my SIL is up all night every night with her new baby and has to go back to work soon. I have a pre-schooler who somewhat sleeps through the night and is a lot easier than a newborn, so I have to be thankful! Plus, I am just amazed that this 3 year old who, at her lowest point, weighed the same as a can of coke, is now a happy healthy little girl who blends in perfectly with the other kids in her class. The other day someone told me she was big for her age and I almost fainted. Thanks again for the support, girls. [:D]

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby youtan » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:21 am

Allison,

Thank you so much for your perspective. It made me smile inside. [:)]
This should be repeated!!
quote:
I think that even though you had an extremely challenging and scary experience, you gained so much more than if it would have been like "A Baby Story." Think of how much appreciation of your child, and the amazing strength and ability to support others you've gained.

For me, even tho' there is jealousy, I have to say that my children seem even that much more important to me. I missed out on a lot of initial bonding, but we are bonded none-the-less. My 5 yr old has begun to exhibit behaviors attuned to the fact that something is important and significant about him. Its comforting to him and to me; every parent wants to be able to create an environment of special love with their child. In some ways another kind of strong bond has been created for us, by way of our beginnings.

Tanya

mother of:
son: 5 yrs, PE/HELLP 27 wks, 1lb 10oz
son: 2 yrs, PIH/low fluid 32 wks, 4lb 8 oz
youtan

Postby maxs mom » Sat Oct 02, 2004 09:41 pm

Suzanne,
You have every right feeling the way you do, you had far from a perfect PG, so I am sure it still hurts. And it sounds like you are handling it well, by just grinning and bearing it (and of course venting here to women who can share your pain)

For me, I cried when I had to go to Babies R Us after Max was born and in the NICU. All I saw was PG woman everywhere and I felt so awful for my bad luck. But now 20 months later, I have accepted the fact that I am not one of the lucky ones to have a perfect PG, and I may never have one. Why? I don't know and may never know. But as long as I have my beautiful Max, I don't care. I couldn't have had a better kid even if he went full term, so I feel so lucky. And a part of me realizes I am just that much better a mom because I went through such a hard time when Max was born. I can't imagine any of my friends with FT babies feeling the gratitude I feel every day to have Max with me and DH and that he is happy and healthy.

The only thing that kind of annoys me is when PG woman complain that they are so ready to have the baby out of them, sometimes as early as 6 months. It doesn't upset me, but I always think to myself, "Hmmm, I know if you got your wish, you wouldn't be happy"

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 1lb. 3ozs. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/

#2 is on the way, EDD at 36.5 weeks is 3/24/04
maxs mom

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies