I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
Forum Moderator

Re : I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Postby jenn » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:57 pm

Under your emotion I'm sure your excited to be an anutie ( so congrats on that!!! )
but I understand what you mean.
My sil and I were due on the same day...so when her time rolled around and I already had my 10 wkr, I couldn't help but feel like the odd man out.
And when she got to take my niece home the next day...oh we won't even talk about it >:o'
So know that it's gotta' be normal to feel this way.
Though do try to muster up some smiles and joy for them, I'm sure it's well deserved.
And now I'll be dying to know how things went, so do share an update when you can. ;o)
Congrats Auntie Suzanne!
Hugs and love!

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
2lb. 12oz.

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04

Postby jyn » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:31 pm

I was lucky enough to have 2 full term babies with pre-e. This pregnancy I have been on bedrest. I have a coworker who is due the same time and she is still working and out having fun. I am very jealous. It doesn't seem fair. Now I sound like my 8 year old. All my friends get too.

Jyn 30
DH Andy 33
Logan 8yrs preE 38 weeks
Aleck 4yrs preE 36 weeks
due 11/21/04 on partial bedrest since June full since August 19th

Postby mlcoltrain » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:23 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I delivered my DD just 7weeks ago at 27.5 weeks. She is currently still in the NICU, but is doing really well. I have a friend that was pregnant before I was and she had her baby at term 2 weeks after I had my emergency c-section. They only live 2 houses down and everytime I visit, I am very happy for them, but I am so jealous that they had the prefect pregnancy and birth and that their baby is home with them now. While I would never want what happened to me to happen to anyone, I do feel jealous at how perfectly everything has happened for them. To make matters worse my DD is in an NICU 2hrs away from my home. But I am going to see her for a long weekend tomorrow and hopefully (crosses fingers) we will get to hold her for the first time. So you aren't alone, and I think it's normal to be a little jealous.

DD - Morgan Rose - 27.5 wks (7/24/04 - severe PE/HELLP/Low fluid)

I'm Trying NOT to be Jealous....

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Sep 09, 2004 04:09 pm

But I can't help it. My SIL (Hubby's brother's wife) is in the hospital having their first baby. Her water broke this morning at 39 weeks. Everyone is so excited and we're waiting on word whether it's a girl or boy (I'm also praying for no complications). They live 13 hours from us so we won't get to see it right away but we're happy for them. This will be my husband's first niece or nephew. She had the perfect pregnancy and worked all the way up until today! They wanted to go ahead and induce her yesterday since she was already dialated and her bp was a little elevated, but she wanted to wait until Friday so she could go home and clean the house and get ready for the baby. I didn't have that luxury. I left work on a Tuesday to go to my 6 month check-up and I didn't even see my house again for another month! We had just bought the crib the day before and it was still in the box and we didn't have anything else yet. When I went for the checkup I was admitted to the hospital immediately for pre-e. My husband was working 3 hours away, and my parents lived 2 hours away. Hubby came home, and 2 days later I was transferred to a hospital an hour away to have the baby at just 26 weeks, because the pre-e had gotten so bad. My parents met us there and stayed for hours while Hannah was delivered and I was sewn up. I was taken to ICU because my bp would not go down. My mom said the doctors were afraid they were going to lose both of us, especially when Hannah weighed in at less than a pound in the delivery room. Then we had the four month NICU roller coaster. BUT, I have a beautiful, healthy three year old little girl, and I would not trade her or our experience for the world. But when I hear stories of the perfect pregnancy and perfect birth, I get a little jealous. Anyone else feel that way?

Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”