Post Reply FAQ Members Login

stuffy nose

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

stuffy nose

Postby samarasmom » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:49 am

by samarasmom (560 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:49 am

Samara is congested in her nose and we were told to use saline and suction out the gunk. Problem is I cant get any thing out of her nose ( yes i know how to use a bulb syringe, she is just being stubborn with her snot.[xx(]
I wouldnt worry so much but she is having trouble eating. Since she is so congested she chokes all the time and because of that now she is starting to refuse food altogether.
Does anyone have any suggestions that I can do to help her. SHe is 7-8 wks old so I think I am limited on meds. that I can use but would like a home remedy or knowledge of a med that she can use now

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Re : stuffy nose

Postby mada » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:22 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:22 am

If you can stand a really hot shower or actually you don't even have to go in!! Close you and Samara in the bathroom and turn the shower on really hot so it steams up the bathroom..maybe the steam will help loosen up some of the congestion and then you can try what I affectionatly call the "booger sucker"....(meaning the bulb syringe)

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby kylesmom » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:30 am

by kylesmom (186 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:30 am

We did the steam shower thing- it was great... maybe you could feed her right after that when she is breathing better. Do you use a vaporizer at night? Not a humidifier, but a warm steam vaporizer. Try that.

Hope she's feeling better!

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator
kylesmom

Postby season » Fri Sep 10, 2004 01:10 pm

by season (1416 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 01:10 pm

My ds (34 weeker) had issues with a stuffy nose for months. The saline drops seemed to help some, but I too could not get anything with the bulb syringe. I tried sitting in the bathroomw ith the hot shower. I also used a humidifier in the bedroom. Little seemed to truly help and he did struggle to eat. He was breastfed and I found that he couldl eat a bit easier when he was already falling asleep (after I put saline in his nose to loosen it up.) Altogether it was just hard for a long time, and he cried a lot when he could not breathe to eat. (So much for taking my sleepy, breastfeeding newborn to movie matinees.)

The doctor had very little advice, just said that it was fairly commomn due to how little his nasal passages were, to use the saline and bulb syringe and that he'd grow out of it, which he did.

I wish I had more answers for you, but know that I do understand what you're dealing with.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
dd Naomi 6/25/04 (38 1/2 wks PIH)
season
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Fri Sep 10, 2004 07:27 pm

by jenn (2038 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 07:27 pm

Day late doller short...
I would have suggested the same thing...steamy bath, or vaporizor.
Plus the bulb and drops afterwards.

Oh! and they make that vapor bath stuff...I always use Jai's when I'm sick [:I] I love it.

Send her get better snuggles for me.

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby samarasmom » Fri Sep 10, 2004 09:01 pm

by samarasmom (560 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 09:01 pm

Well of course Miss Samara sleeps for everyone BUT ME! I have been up with her all night and at 9 am I made daddy switch me so I could get some rest for work and after I went to work she was wiht the daycare lady all day and SLEPT ALL DAY from what they both tell me. THe minute i walk in the door she awakens. She will sleep on me but if I tempt to put her down she screams. WHich is flattering however uncomfortable. Her nose is doing better from what they tell me. I do run a vaporizer in all room ( 2 bedrooms and the livingroom since I have no idea where my 5 yr old will wander in his sleep too and he has problems with lungs getting croup and bloody noses in his sleep so we have to keep them constantly running.
Got a call from her doc and they said that fro some reason they cant find her newborn screen test that they are supposed to do at the hospital so i have to take her next week to have that drawm.NOT looking forward to that.
Thanks girls for the advise if a problem arises I will try the hot shower. Never thought of it though I should have dealing with Croup all the time. Somethimes I think her nostrils are so small I wonder how the heck she breaths out of them. SO i am sure the slightest snot will block her.
WIll give an update tomorrow

Sandra 23
Michael Abron ( fiance)
Elijah Kristopher Michael Abron ( 43 wks no complications) 5/6/99
Isaiah Liam Abron ( 37 wks PE and Preterm labor) 3/25/02
Samara Juliyana Abron ( 35 wks PIH and poss PE ) 7/21/04
samarasmom

Return to Parents of Preemies